Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Impgreene
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

DNS Server Not Responding

Go to solution

Last night all my laptios, TV and mobiles were returning a message of "DNS Server Not Repsonding".

The same happened this morning.

I factory resest the HomeHub (version 5), and then made all my laptops and mobiles 'forget' the old connection.

I then restablised the connections - now I have a situation where some of the laptops and mobiles (once of each) have internet access, but the others and the TV don't.

I called BT, who were less than helpful, and said it was probably Web Protect (which I dont have acitivated and I dont have any BT software on the phones) - they begrudgingly ran some tests, but they arent interested.

I'm not sure why some work and some dont, even though the 2 x laptops are the same make of laptop and have the same software.

Please can someone give me some guidance.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: DNS Server Not Responding

Go to solution

@Impgreene

Are Ethernet connected devices affected as well?

0 Ratings
Impgreene
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

With Wifi 1 laptop is affected (I have sorted out the other one of the same make and that has the same software).

The 1 laptop that isnt working over Wifi has problem over Ethernet too (I just connected it up to check).

I now have both mobiles working - so just one laptop not working over wifi or Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

For the laptop, try this.

If its a Windows computer you are using, then type this at the address prompt

ipconfig /flushdns   (there is a space after ipconfig)

Windows does tend to cache old invalid DNS records, so that should clear them.

If that fails, then try this.

Try disabling IPv6 on the Windows network properties.

Select Start

• In the Start Search field type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Wireless Network Connection or LAN Connection and select Properties.
  • In the This connection uses the following items section, remove the tick beside (i.e. disable) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then press OK.

Left click on Internet Protocol IPV4, click on properties. Check the options to obtain IP address and DNS Server address automatically.

This was originally reported as an issue with Sony laptops.

Impgreene
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

You are awesome - the flushing the DNS worked - I had thought it might be something to do with stored DNS data given only laptop was being affected, which is why I factory reset the router and reset all the connections - but that was just a guess and I didnt know enough about DNS to do anything.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Excellent Smiley Happy

Windows take a while to expire old invalid DNS lookups. I cannot remember how long it takes, but I think its possible to alter the timing within the registry.

0 Ratings