Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DavidD65
Message 1 of 5

DNS Server isn't responding

Go to solution

I have a problem with internet access as from 10:30 this morning. When looking for a web page I get Hmmm...can't reach that page. When I run the Windows Network Diagnostics I get the error the DNS Server isn't responding. If I try to print the printer does not respond either.

I have switched the BT Smart Hub 6 of several times and also done a factory reset of the hub.

I am able to log onto the hub and can see the computer is connected to the hub via port 3 as is the Cloud Device connected to port 2 along with a number of phones and my Ipad. However, none of these devices are able to connect to the internet either. At one time the computer and Cloud Device showed up as being connected to the same port which the cannot be. After resetting the hub again they now show on different ports.

I cannot see any other devices that are linked vial a Netgear Switch (Printer or other wired family computers). I have trued disconnecting the equipment from the hub and connecting to different ports but no response. The hub management link recognises the changes to different ports of the items that are directly connected.

I have spoken to BT who have run their line tests etc, and say there is nothing wrong with the line or the modem/router which shows blue. And they have said there is nothing they can suggest/do and that it must be my computer, ignoring the fact that everything else connected is performing the same way and has done for a long time.

As you see I have been specific about the time the connection shut down as I was working on my computer and the Email, when I relogged on using my mobile broadband connection showed the time the system last synced. I have had trouble free running of the hub since its original installation in  July 2016 albeit that I had to be sent a replacement as the first one would not work and when the engineer arrived to check the system could not find a fault so he connected a spare modem he had on the van which worked fine so he arranged for a replacement to be issued. I was previously using a Homehub 2 for about 6 years without problem but it got slow hence the update to the Smart Hub.

Can anybody suggest a route forward?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: DNS Server isn't responding

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Use a third party router instead.

0 Ratings
DavidD65
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for your welcome.

Do you have a suggestion for an alternative?

I will need to be able to change the Hub gateway IP address and address range once working to be able to log on to a works VPN.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

It depends on how much you want to pay, prices start at about £35 for what you would need. If you must have dual band wireless, then it will cost you more.

Start by looking at the TP Link TD-W 9970  spec, as that is fully configurable. There is quite a bit of info on my website shown in my signature below.

I have a spare one which I use for testing, so if you tell me which private address range you want to use, I will see if I can configure it.

0 Ratings
DavidD65
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks Keith,

I went out and got a Netgear D7000-200UKS as only one I could get over the counter. Installed and came up fine. Needed to replace the Netgear switch as well as I found I could get connected directly plugged into the router but not the switch once replaced switch as well system is fully operational again.

0 Ratings