cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 11 of 17

Re: DNS issues

It'd be good to get the official line on whether BT support their own DNS servers as part of the monthly subscription cost, or whether they're treated as a value-add service without any support.

If the latter, that's worrying, as their supplied equipment mandates the use of BT DNS servers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

The use of BTs DNS servers are part of your broadband package. Its up to you whether you use them or not. If you use BT Protect, or BT Parental controls, then you have to use them.

The home hubs are designed to make support easy for BT, as a factory reset will restore them to a known state.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 17

Totally agree regarding making support easier with the SmartHub, and factory resetting the device should set them back to the BT defaults - sounds sensible. Just seems overkill that they've prevented the ability to use other DNS servers, and at no point was this explained to me when they sold it to me.

Anyway, I should stop labouring the same point! Smiley Very Happy

If anyone from BT would care to step in and look at the underlying issue, it'd be appreciated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 17

I don't think this is solely a DNS issue, but a general connectivity issue from BT's network to the network in China that hosts the primary DNS servers for the xiaoyi.com domain (ns1.alidns.com and ns2.alidns.com), also affecting connectivity to the China-hosted xiaoyi.com servers themselves.  See my post on the other thread:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Wifi-not-letting-me-connect-to-Yi-Home-Camera-s...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 15 of 17

I had the similar problem from last month and it is still not working.

It affects a range of IP subnets which includes Amazon China, Bank of China, Taobao.com, dangdang.com and other more. 

I agree with @tom5739 that this is not DNS issue but a routing issue.

Because

1. DNS is updated to 8.8.8.8 and a few others and no use. 

2. Ping IP directly and tracert the route via IP and it stopped somewhere. NOTE: IP is obtained from other ISP which is working fine. 

@BT , do you need me to explain what is a DNS and how it works to you? 

It is a problem only with BT customers. The same devices were tested on other ISP connection and it is working. For example, my laptop is working in neighbour house which is Skype but not working at home which is BT fibre. Several devices are tried.

BT customer service team just doesn't listen to me and keep telling me BT is not blocking any site. But BT is not connecting the websites either. 

BT customer service team is blaming those web sites and ignoring the fact the websites are working via other ISP such as Skype or Talktalk. 

It is simple:  Skype or Talktalk users can use internet normally but I , as a BT user, can't use them. @BT This is called Internet is not working.  Stop blaming the websites because they are working via other ISP. Stop blaming me as I am not the only one having issue. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 16 of 17

I am also very angry.  My Yi home camera system was working fine on BT hub 4 until the end of April when I upgraded to Infinity and a new Smarthub, whereupon my cameras stopped working.  What if my house is now burgled in the meantime?  If my system was working with BT before upgrading, am I not entitled to expect that it will continue to work after upgrading.  Lost a lot of money if they don’t ever work again - very angry!!!  If I get burgled can I sue BT?!!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 17

Last question first. You would not be able to sue BT if your house was burgled any more than you could have sued the CCTV company when the system was working. CCTV does not stop property being burgled, all it does is give you a nice recording of it happening.

As regards your problem of the CCTV not working if you are wanting some help with getting it to work it would be helpful to any forum users who may be able to help if you posted which make of CCTV it is, how it is connected to your Smarthub, if you can view it over your house network, if you can not view it while away from home via an app, which IP service you use, what you have tried so far to get the system to work, and any other useful information that other might find helpful in diagnosing the problem. 

0 Ratings