cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Macbeth89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 49

DNS server not responding

Hey I've been having an issue with the above for almost a week now and it's driving me up the wall. I've have spoke to 4 different people on the phone all with no idea what I'm talking about. One of them actually sent us a new home hub because they were convinced it was broken but nope just the same.

The hub light is blue, according to those on the phone it is connected to the internet but I can't access any web pages on any device, wired or wireless. There doesn't seem to be any faults in my area of Scotland but something is clearly wrong. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
0 Ratings
48 REPLIES 48
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 49

Re: DNS server not responding

Change DNS settings on you device/s use Google or OpenDNS. You can't change them on the Hub.

0 Ratings
Macbeth89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 49

That was one of the first things I tried but it didn't make a single bit of difference. Every browser just tries to connect before eventually timing out.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 49

Its not a DNS problem then. Have you tried the usual cure for all hub ills, a factory reset pushing the recessed button with a pin for about 20 seconds until the lights flash?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 49

Then it's a connection issue and not DNS servers.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 49

What makes you think it's DNS? From a PC command prompt can you ping 8.8.8.8? Do you actually have internet connectivity?

0 Ratings
Macbeth89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 49

I can ping Google just fine. I've tried the reset on the hub and now I'm using the newer hub and it's still the same issue. The only reason I think it's the DNS servers is because that's what my PC's trouble shooter give back as a response to troubleshooting internet connections. It's very frustrating.
0 Ratings
Macbeth89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 49

The lady on the phone yesterday actually said she can see that my hub is connected to the internet so I'm struggling to see what the issue is and how to remedy it.
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 49

From the command line of the PC, run the command this nslookup www.bbc.co.uk and see if you get any response. After that run the command nslookup www.bbc.co.uk 8.8.8.8 and see whether there's a response.

The first command will ask the DNS server on the Hub for the IP address, and the second command will ask the Google public DNS server. If the first fails, and the second succeeds, then it's definitely DNS on the Hub.

Regards

0 Ratings
Macbeth89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 49

I got a response for both but for the second nslookup www.bbc.co.uk 8.8.8.8 said DNS request timed out. Timeout was 2 seconds.
0 Ratings