Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterforsyth16
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

DOES YOUR BROADBAND DROP-OUT REGULARLY?

Hello I am Peter

I am looking for a solution that someone may have found to this problem... 

I live in East Devon and experience - Daily 2 or 3 times a day broadband drop-out ie. it just stops and the only option is to re-start the router.  I have run Speed check, Line check etc and it comes back as no problem. I have raised the issue with BT and it returns as resolved but unfortunately it is'nt.

I wondered whether anyone had resolved the problem by changing or upgrading their router. I would happily upgrade the router! BUT... signing up for that and getting another 18 months of problematic service is not what I am looking for.

Any advice?

Regards Peter Forsyth

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Wilko07
Message 2 of 8

Re: DOES YOUR BROADBAND DROP-OUT REGULARLY?

I have a similar problem in north London. When I contact BT they told me to change the frequency on the router from automatic to a specific channel. I haven’t had to restart the router since but I have trouble trying to watch BT TV and Sky at the same time.

Perhaps try changing the channel on the router?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Changing channel may only solve a problem with the wifi dropping but that will have no affect if the router is actually dropping internet connection @peterforsyth16 can you post stats from your router. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information Try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone Try using the test socket with a filter and see if that helps your stability

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
peterforsyth16
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Thank you Wilko07 - I will double check as I think this might have one of the BT Solutions they walked me through ... routers frustrate me.
regards Peter
0 Ratings
peterforsyth16
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

IMjolly thanks. Not that router technical but now realise that mentioning that I have HH4 might have helped. I will further investigate your suggestions regards Peter
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Drop outs are unlikely to be to do with a wide area problem. I'm also in E Devon (near Sidmouth), and have no issues.
0 Ratings
peterforsyth16
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Thanks Techwizz

I am just south of the A30 above Sidmouth so thank you for your input, really helps.

The cogs are moving slowly in my head... and with your imput and I am beginning to wonder whether it is a local issue... ie Mine!

I used to work using ethernet without issue - so I am using ethernet today and my partner is using wi-fi.

we will see

regard Peter

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I assume you're on ADSL? Can you post stats from your router? Is your line noisy? Are you connected to the test socket?

0 Ratings