cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ianthompson77
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

DSL wall Socket direct to Unifi USG

Hi, I've recently discovered that the residential routers cannot be put into Bridge/Modem mode for me to set up a Unifi network (I'm looking at a US-G which is a Gateway/Router) with 2 separate LAN ports so I can set up 2 networks (One with an AP for home and one with an AP for Guests)

I've tried Wholehome, Power adapters etc...none work for my needs.

So I hoped to disconnect the BT router, and plug direct from the wall socket using the Microfilter using a DSL to RJ45 cable. I was hoping to plug from this directly into the WAN port of the US-G, adopt this into the network and then use LAN1 and LAN2 for my AP's.

However it doesn't seem to work, does anyone know if it doesn't work because you cannot connect direct from the wall to the Unifi Security Gateway? Do I need a modem inbetween ? Was hoping not because this will be a lot of hardware daisy chained together? Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: DSL wall Socket direct to Unifi USG

The USG is only a Router iirc. You'll need a separate Modem in order to get internet access.

Wallsocket < Modem < USG < AP's

0 Ratings
Ianthompson77
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thank you. Why can I not come from the wall direct to the USG (Which has routing capabilities) why do I have to now purchase a Modem on top? Surely if BT are providing the hardware for the money we spend annually they should at least provide the Router to be Modem enabled?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

BT provide a DSL service, not a cable service. The BT supplied device is a combined VDSL modem/router, if you don't wish to use it you need to provide the necessary equipment, a modem.

0 Ratings
Ianthompson77
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Virgin provide a device that can be put into Bridge mode? Guess I’ll have to go over to them with double the speed as well. 

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go for it, it's not standard to have a Router form an ISP that has Bridge Mode capabilities.

0 Ratings
Ianthompson77
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

If BT decide supplied is a combined MODEM/router then one would have expected to be able to use such device as Modem or Router, especially when they supply for current residents with the Openreach fibre boxes, especially when you’re advised “yes you can put your router into Bridge mode” and especially when you hear an advisor tell you “oh yeah my neighbour who also works for BT has extended their network to provide a Guest access using one of those BT Openreach boxes”

0 Ratings
Ianthompson77
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Seems to be standard from one of BT's competitors.

0 Ratings