cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Daisy Chain vs Star Wiring

I have 5 sockets at home (1 master socket and 4 extension sockets. 

1 of the extension sockets is connected to the master socket terminals 2 and 5. Another wire is then ran upstairs and splits into 3 separate wires where each one connects to the remaining 3 extension sockets upstairs.

We only use the master socket downstairs and the telephone is connected to the downstairs extension socket. 

my questions are 

1) do the remaining upstairs extension sockets affect my broadband even though there’s no telephone connected to them?

2) is this star or daisy chain wiring? 

3) which is better, star or daisy chain wiring?

4) if I was to daisy chain all 5 extension sockets, would I affect my connection even if I only use 2 of the sockets?

thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Daisy Chain vs Star Wiring

If you only use the 2 downstairs sockets, just disconnect the wires  that go upstairs in the downstairs socket.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Daisy Chain vs Star Wiring

If upstair sockets are also connected to terminals 2&5 then that is ok and how it should be - daisy chain  - and should not affect your broadband.  As @licquorice  posted if you don't use upstairs sockets just remove wires from 2&5

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings