cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Damaged network cable.

I have drilled into a dot and dab wall directly into the solid dabs of adhesive thinking it was a sound solid anchor point to mount my Philips Hue bridge,  turns out my the BT/Open reach cable that connects the 5C master socket and incoming Open reach cable was incased in the dab and now been damaged.

Only 2 stands of wire survived, the dark blue with white stripes which is connected to the master socket and the light green with white stripes wasn’t connected to anything.
the second wire that connects the the master socket (light blue with white strips) is damaged so I have swapped out the light blue for the light green into the master socket and have swapped them on the outside box using jelly crimps because me and my partner both work from home and broadband is critical for that and I was out of options.

My internet now works but the speed is around 35-40mbps instead of 70+ mbps, my ping is where it always was at around 13 and my upload speed is where it should be or has always been at around 18mbps, what could be causing the slow speeds when the ping and upload are ok. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Damaged network cable.

@Fergal82 

BT Openreach does not exist, its simply Openreach, and they look after the network, so you should not repair it yourself.

You need to contact your Service Provider and report what has happened, and they will ask Openreach to repair it. There would be a charge for this.

A poor quality or incorrect connection could be affecting your speed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Damaged network cable.

You’ve got what’s known as a split pair now.

The wires inside the cable are meant to be used in specified pairs, ie the blue/white and white/blue, orange/white and white/orange, and green/white and white/green and are twisted together as such to keep out external noise.

By using a wire from one pair and the wire from another pair, it will make a circuit, but because you don’t have a twisted pair, it will affect broadband speeds due to allowing external noise ingress.