cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: Damaged wires - BT charge to repair?

@Pebbleheed wrote:
I can't see your image sadly. They aren't loading on my mobile and I can't use my laptop as I dont have wifi internet.

There is a wire coming in at the front door where the BT wire enters the house from the pole. However it looks snapped inside the hallway and doesn't enter the house more than 2-3 cm at best.

The images should show, perhaps you have that option turned off?

Try changing from the mobile version of the forum, to the full site version, as the images will be helpful.

I expect a new cable will have to be run down the house and terminated on a new socket.

They should put the new socket where you want it, within reason, so its worth discussing this with the Openreach Field Tecnician, when they visit.

0 Ratings
Pebbleheed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 19

They've turned someone out today. Apparently to the box in the street as they think there's a problem there too. They're going to call if they want to access my house.

Bonus if I get to choose where to put it. I thought they'd just put it where they want. I'll see what they say.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 19

@Pebbleheed wrote:

Bonus if I get to choose where to put it. I thought they'd just put it where they want. I'll see what they say.

They will normally fit a socket within a certain distance from the point of entry, not sure how far.

In your case, as a new wire will be needed, you may prefer the master socket to be in a front room, just ask nicelySmiley Wink

0 Ratings
Pebbleheed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 19

The engineer turned up today unannounced. He was decent and friendly enough and showed me that the problem was damaged wires before the socket in the house. He fitted a new socket. A master socket, with two ports. Actually says master socket on the outside and version 5 or something.

He also kindly put it in a better place without me asking. Just did it. Very quick and friendly service.

Engineer didn't mention if I'd get charged or not. I'd hope not. Will see.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

Engineers are told not to discuss charges with End Users because when Openreach do charge they are charging their customer, the phone company and not you. If your provider decide to pass said charge onto you then that's up to them.

Ref to the damage, regardless of of whether you did it or not. You purchased the house, 'as is'. Therefore you take responsibility for anything that needs fixing. Say if the Boiler broke tomorrow you wouldn't expect the person who sold you the house to pay to have it fixed. Same principal.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Scoutcasey
Message 16 of 19

Generally houses are not sold ‘as is’ and yes if your boiler broke right after you bought the house the seller is responsible..the new buyer is responsible for the first £200 with the seller being responsible for the rest for one month (even if the boiler needs replaced) This is standard when buying a house. 

If the boiler is not working and this is disclosed to buyers BEFORE purchase and house is priced accordingly then thats fine..no disclosure then seller pays. It used to be 100% of cost not now though as alot of times it was just people not knowing how to work it and sellers were having to pay call out when nothing was wrong. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 19

You are replying to a two year old thread which has nothing to do with boilers so you may not get a reply from the OP and hopefully they have it resolved by now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 19

Another example where old thread should have been locked

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Scoutcasey
Message 19 of 19

Was responding to someone who was giving the OP wrong info and he used a boiler to make his point..he was wrong. Didnt see the date 🥴 Damn you internet with your old open threads lol

0 Ratings