Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pebbleheed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Damaged wires - BT charge to repair?

Hi,

I've just bought a house and moved in today. BT moved my broadband and phone service across today too.

The phone and broadband doesn't work in my house as the wiring appears damaged. There's no dial tone or anything else.

This damage has occurred before I owned the house. I don't know how or when.

I called BT a couple of days ago after viewing the house before moving in and they suggested the repair work if required would be free as it was a new address for me and I haven't damaged the line.

I called today to confirm the line is damaged. BT tested it remotely and agreed. However they then said there's a £129 charge for the repair!

Is this correct?
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Damaged wires - BT charge to repair?

If the fault is in your internal wiring, then there would be a charge.

There is normally a charge for a new line when you move house anyway, as BT have to pay Openreach to provide the service, so any work needed to get the line working to a master socket, would be included in that charge anyway.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

@Pebbleheed

You should receive a call from the Openreach Field Technician wheh they have provided service, to confirm you have dial tone.

That is why a visit is booked so that they can look inside the house and ensure that there is dial tone at the test socket in the master socket.

Anything after the master socket is your responsibility.

Test Socket.jpg

Check with a phone at this point only.

0 Ratings
Pebbleheed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Is the master socket the main telephone line socket in the house? If so there's a wire coming from that. I've traced it through the wall to the hallway. However in the hallway it appears to end and does not go outside.

There's no dial tone on my phone and the socket appears to be dead.

I suspect the wire to the master socket, if that is what this is, does not connect. I do not know why as I've just bought the house.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

@Pebbleheed

Where does the line come in, is there a pole outside with a dropwire running to the house, or is it all underground?

If its underground, it would normally enter somewhere at the front of the house, possibly the hallway.

Either way, its up to BT Retail to ensure that Openrech provide service to a socket like the one in my picture.

If they say that its all supposed to be working, then tell them its not. You do not have to mention about any faulty wiring.

It is important however, that you do your best to find out where the first socket is, and check it for dial tone.

I assume that whoever lived there before, must have had a working phone line.

Is there an appointment booked for today, to provide the phone line?

0 Ratings
Pebbleheed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

The socket I have, according to google, is vey old and is some sort of socket installed before Master Sockets were used apparently.

That socket does not work at all. It's dead.

The line to my house comes from a pole to the outside of my house and enters via the hall at the front. This line doesn't appear to reach the socket inside my house.

BT said they'd have someone to me by tomorrow to fix this but that I'd have to pay £129 for it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

@Pebbleheed wrote:

BT said they'd have someone to me by tomorrow to fix this but that I'd have to pay £129 for it.

Have you already paid to have the line installed as part of the home move process?

If that is the case, there should be no extra charge.

Overhead can either come in at the loft, or come down a cable ouside of the house, which you should be able to see.

0 Ratings
Pebbleheed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

No charge. I was told my home move was free. The cable comes down the front of my house.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

@Pebbleheed wrote:
No charge. I was told my home move was free. The cable comes down the front of my house.

Where does it enter the house, the socket nearest to that point would be the master socket, but if its old, it may just look like this.

oldnte.jpg

Openreach should change that to one of these.

nte.jpg

Or even one of these, if you have broadband., as that has separate sockets for the phone and home hub.

mk4 nte.jpg

Its probably disconnected on the pole, or a faulty dropwire termination, that should be fixed without charge.

They always mention a possible charge, just in case the line is fine, and the customer is doing something wrong, like not plugging the phone in the right socket.

0 Ratings
Pebbleheed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

I can't see your image sadly. They aren't loading on my mobile and I can't use my laptop as I dont have wifi internet.

There is a wire coming in at the front door where the BT wire enters the house from the pole. However it looks snapped inside the hallway and doesn't enter the house more than 2-3 cm at best.
0 Ratings