cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kydhol
Message 1 of 7

Device disappears from hub home page

My son's computer has disappeared from the BT HOME HUB 5 home page. He is plugged into Ethernet, and I know his IP address and MAC address. But is has stopped showing up. How do I fix that?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Device disappears from hub home page

Welcome to this user forum.

That is a very common issue with all the home hubs. The only way to resolve it is with a factory reset of the home hub to clear out the DHCP table and start again.

I assume that he can still connect to the Internet, so it may be best to ignore it, if you do not want to reset the home hub.

0 Ratings
kydhol
Message 3 of 7

Thank you. Yes he can still connect, but I want to be able to block his device at certain times. I will give it a go . 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@kydhol wrote:

Thank you. Yes he can still connect, but I want to be able to block his device at certain times. I will give it a go . 

Its not that effective on the home hubs, as it only prevents a new connection during the blocked time, it does not disconnect an existing session. Its also very easy to bypass.

0 Ratings
kydhol
Message 5 of 7

Thanks Keith. yes my oldest has figured out VPN's but he knows that he would in trouble if he did that past blocking time. But it does block connection at the time I choose very well.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@kydhol wrote:

Thanks Keith. yes my oldest has figured out VPN's but he knows that he would in trouble if he did that past blocking time. But it does block connection at the time I choose very well.

If you have got it to work as you want, then that is fine. VPN blocking would need you to use an alternative DNS service like OpenDNS.

0 Ratings
BT Expert
Message 7 of 7

Have you also had a look at using the Network based parental controls BT Consumer offer? http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46768

0 Ratings