Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Impgreene
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Devices Connected to My Network

Go to solution

I received a call from someone claiming to be from BT stating that I had multiple unknown IP address using my internet connection - I took this to be a scam and ended the call.

I then looked in the Hub Manager and I have multiple devices noted only as "dhcpcd-6-8-2-Linu" (or at lest this is all I can see as the HomeHub UI is rubbish) - they are working off IP addresses 192.168.1.170, 192.168.1.182 and 192.168.1.179.

Would anyone happen to know what BT assigned these (partial) names to and uses these IP addresses for?

Thanks for any help you can give.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Devices Connected to My Network

Go to solution

It was a scam. BT will never contact you to tell you that.

Do you have powerline adaptors, smart TV or other Internet devices that you may have forgotten about when checking what devices are connected to your hub.

The hub also seems to be prone to not refreshing when previously connected devices are no longer connected.  

0 Ratings
Impgreene
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I live in an old house (thick walls), so have extenders - I also have multiple phones, tablets, laptops and a TV ………….. to be honest it's all a bit difficult to navigate - I do however have Kaspersky on every device that will take it (i.e. not the TV or extenders, but all the devices with data on them).

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

The IP addresses you are not sure about are probably your powerline adaptors. Check their Mac address that is  shown on the hubs page with a google search and it will tell you what it is.

0 Ratings
Impgreene
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Unfortunately the Max addresses for the 'devices' named "dhcpcd-6-8-2-Linu …………" return nothing on google - would you have any idea if BT autoallocate device names with the prefix "dhcpcd-6-8-2-Linu" for anything?

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Impgreene
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I tracked them down - they are for Amazon's Alexa enabled devices (just in case it ever comes up again).

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings