cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Devices Keep Dropping Off Wi-Fi

Go to solution

Without knowingly changing anything I have recently encountered a problem. Each morning one or more devices seem to have fallen off the wi-fi (the device(s) varies). The only way to resolve this and re-connect all devices is to re-start the router (BT Hub 6). I've also experienced the following error - wi-fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration. I've spoken to the BT helpdesk who advised that the reason was that there were more devices on the 2.4Ghz channel (7) than the 5Ghz channel (2). Doesn't seem like a lot to me! To resolve he split the channels and suggested I configure my devices to use a specific channel spread across the 2 channels. This doesn't seem to have resolved the issue. I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Devices Keep Dropping Off Wi-Fi

Go to solution

@And1990 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Try a factory reset of the home hub, as its likely to run out of internal connections, and a normal reset will not fix that.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-settings

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I would in addition to splitting 2.4/5ghz networks also select channels manually and not use smart/auto.  use wifi analyser app on phone to see channels in use near you and select free or less congested channel

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you Keith for the speedy reply. The factory reset does seem to have resolved the issue.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@And1990 

That`s good.

Avoid using MAC randomisation on your devices connected to your own network, as that can make the problem return, as each new MAC address takes up another internal allocation.

0 Ratings