cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbeekmeyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Devices connect to home hub but not to internet through wifi but do via ethernet

Go to solution

Recently my devices (tablet, laptop and phone) will connect to my home hub 5 via wifi but then do not connect to the internet. The desktop computer that we have in the home on the other hand which is connected to the hub via an ethernet can connect to the internet and shows no signs of problems.

I have spoken to bt's "technical" support and they gave me a few steps to try such as turning it off and on again, factory resetting and turning off the smart wireless network selection none of which have worked. The last time i tried to talk to "technical" support they wanted to send an engineer round to have a look but told me it would cost me £129 if the fault was found to be inside my house. It's quite clear that the fault is in my house as my desktop can connect to the internet.

To me the only explanation is that the home hub is broken. I asked for a new home hub but was told i need an engineers visit - this does not make any sense, if I am sent a new hub and it works then its clear where the problem was, if not then an engineer may be needed. Can anyone please help?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Devices connect to home hub but not to internet through wifi but do via ethernet

Go to solution

@rbeekmeyer I'm sorry about the problems you're having connecting to the Hub's wifi. Have you tried splitting the SSID's to see if that helps? Post back and let me know how you get on. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
alanfleming100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: Devices connect to home hub but not to internet through wifi but do via ethernet

Go to solution

Do you have a BT Home Hub 5 ?  Yours is a common problem after the recent HH5 forced firmware upgrade.

Disconnect power from your HH6. Power it back on and let it reload. You may need to restart your devices.

If its no better after a power off reset try pushing a pin in the reset hole in the back of the HH6.

Regards,

Alan

York   UK

0 Ratings
rbeekmeyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the responses. Splitting the SSID seems to have worked.

I still don't understand why BT's "Technical Support" did not offer this solution but instead wanted to send round an engineer when it is obvious to anyone with half a brain that the issue was with the hub

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I'm glad that worked for you @rbeekmeyer.

I can't understand why it wasn't mentioned either as I know it's something that our technical advisers are trained to offer support on. I'm sorry it wasn't picked up on.

Any issues in the future, feel free to post on the Community.

Enjoy your day Smiley Happy

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings