cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tompagenet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 31

Devices unable to obtain IP address (BT HomeHub 5)

Hello all

I've been having an annoying problem for the last 10 days or so. I have a BT HomeHub 5, with both wired and wireless connections. The wired goes, via a BT Powerline adapter, to a BT WiFi Homespot 500 kit (which has a separate 2.4GHz network with a different SSID).

The wireless is split into a 2.4GHz network and 5GHz network with separate SSIDs.

My problem in the last few days has been that when 'one more' device tries to connect (wirelessly or wired) it will fail to get an IP address - on Windows devices this means it'll get a useless 169.* address, on Android and iOS it just fails to connect and reverts to using 4G. Similarly my XBox One, Chromecast and Xbox 360 just don't even try and connect when they don't get an IP address. The XBox One is particualrly explicit in its error message - "Cannot connect to your DHCP server". DHCP makes sense, as once this one extra device fails to connect, any further devices I try to connect will also fail. Even restarting the router seems to make no difference. Any device that was already connected will still work and have full access to the internet and the rest of the home network. After about 30mins (although this is a real guess) everything will just suddenly start working again (I may have to push some wireless devices back onto the network by manually reconnecting them)

When I say 'one more' device above, what I mean is when I add an extra device to the network - e.g. come home and thus my phone tries to switch from 4G to my home WiFi, or I turn my laptop on. It's not one specific device, it's just an extra device and it seems to be the one that breaks the camel's back. I haven't worked out how many devices it is that means that when I add the next one things all go to pot.

I've called up about this and I've had the standard things requested of me - hard reset HomeHub 5 (done so), split out the WiFI networks to be on different SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz (did so, but this was the case anyway before HomeHub was hard reset) and change wireless channels (done this too, but was already on channels that seemed to be clearest in my local area - now ironically been moved onto a more congested 2.4GHz channel, but this problem also happens for me on 5GHz, so don't think channel selection is the problem.

So, in short, it seems like a DHCP problem where the router fails, after some trigger that I don't quite understand, to offer any new IPs. I've checked and the maximum IP address already assigned is never anywhere near the limit of 192.168.1.253 - instead we're normally up to around 192.168.1.110 or so. I don't know whether this is a hardware fault in the router, an inherent limitation of the router that I've only just come up against (maybe as I have more devices now), or a firmware issue that can be fixed. If it's either of the last two presumably other people have the same problem.

Any thoughts or troubleshooting tips very much appreciated!

Tom

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 31

Re: Devices unable to obtain IP address (BT HomeHub 5)

Have you disabled 'smart setup' under 'home network'?

Under 'IP Settings' what is the 'DHCP Network Range'?

Are ALL your devices set to use DHCP?  If not are the fixed IP addresses outside that set for 'DHP Network Range?

0 Ratings
tompagenet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 31

Excellent questions, thanks for responding.

Smart Setup is indeed disabled. It's very annoying and the first thing I changed after BT's call centre got me to hard reset the HomeHub5

The DHCP Network Range is in as the default option: 192.168.1.64-192.168.1.253

I did have everything on DHCP. Earlier today I've manually set the IP address of my HomeSpot 500 wifi booster to be 192.168.1.50, and of a wireless access point (that connects my XBox 360 to the WiFi) to be 192.168.1.60, so both outside the range.

One odd thing is that my two Sonos Play 1s, which don't even support static IPs, sometimes show up as being static IPs in the bthomehub.home device information (and sometimes as DHCP-assigned, which makes a lot more sense)
0 Ratings
tompagenet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 31

An update on this:

BT's twitter care team (@BTcare) sent me a replacement HomeHub 5.  This has, of course,  different SSID name and wireless password. I was fairly dissapointed when exactly the same problem happened with the new hub. I had only entered the wireless password into one device: my Surface Pro 3 laptop. Also my powerline network then connects with a BT HomeSpot 500 wifi extender which is the network for two Sonos Play 1 devices (both were plugged in to the mains and turned on. but didn't have any music playing, and haven't had all day.

This confused me a bit, as it would seem to point to three possibilities:

1) I received another HomeHub 5 with exactly the same fault (very unlikely)

2) There is an inherent problem with the firmware / hardware of the HH5 that I am for some reason rubbing up against in the last 12 days or so

3) (Potentially linked to number 2): There is a problem with one of my devices at home that is causing something to fail regarding DHCP allocation.

Each of the seem unlikely. 1 seems very suprising. 2 is possible, but hard to work out why it's come on recently. 3 seems possible as well, but I have had my Surface Pro 3 turned off (shut down off, not standby off) and had the problem of no new devices able to obtain an IP address before (using the old hub).

I have also had my ethernet-connected laptop have the same problem, which seems to make a wireless problem (and thus a Sonos problem) unlikely. I say this as this evening when I tried the new Hub the problem occured straight away. I then physically disconnected the ethernet cable that connects with my powerline adapters (thus disconnecting my (turned off) laptop and two Sonos speakers), turned the router off and back on again and still had the problem. I suppose it's possible that, as I didn't hard reset the router the DHCP table survives resets on the HH5 and so this wasn't a full-proof test.

Has anyone got any thoughts, or at least new tests I could try. I'm quite frustrated as I just can't figure out what's wrong - it really surprised me today when the replacement Hub showed the same problem as my original HH5.

Thanks anyone for ideas

Tom

0 Ratings
seanpcahill
Message 5 of 31

Hi Tom,

After months of fault free BT HomeHub operation I have started experiencing similar issues.

Maybe a coincidence, but the fault occurs whenever I connect my Surface Pro 3 (Windows 10) device to the network. First it fails to obtain an IP address, then the other devices on the network start losing their service (including ipads and iphones). This happens intermittently and I cant really pin down a pattern, but rebooting the router and shutting down the surface pro seems to fix it.

Did you get anywhere with your fault?

Cheers
Sean
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 31

Try unticking IPv6 on the Windows network properties, as DHCPv6 seem to upset the home hubs.

0 Ratings
karlfranz
Beginner
Message 7 of 31

Same problem. I also have a Surface Pro 3 when I start it up I can eventually get it connected with unplugging everything but then other devices start dropping off which were fine before.
0 Ratings
matt20seven
Message 8 of 31

I have the same issue, and the catalyst is definitely the Surface Pro 3.

What I haven't been able to figure out (even after lenghy conversations with both BT and Microsoft) is which device is at fault, the Homehub or the surface.

I *MAY* have found a solution after posting in the microsoft community forums:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfnetwork/surface-pro-3-wifi-connection-...

Apparently there is some sort of issue with the driver for the network adapter on the Surface Pro 3, and there is a registry change that can help with the problem.

After applying this fix to my surface pro 3 yesterday I managed to have it connected all evening and morning without issue. So I'm hopeful that it may be a solution, though I have had extended periods without issue before only for the "limited" connection issue to come back.

Anyway, would love if you could all try out the fix provided in the link and let me know how you get on. Also, I WOULD love to hear microsoft or BT take some responsibility for this issue. It seems crazy that a device should be able to knock out a network because of some sort of compatibility issue. I'm pretty sure I took down a public BT hotspot the other day by connecting to it with my surface, and if that's the case then this is a serious issue that BT needs to investigate.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 31

If the "fix" is to separate the dual bands to have different SSids on the Homehub this is a known "fix" for users of the forum. 

Many devices, Apple in particular, seem to have a problem with the dual band using the same SSid.

If that is the case I would suggest that it is a device problem and not a BT problem as it obviously only affects certain devices.

0 Ratings
matt20seven
Message 10 of 31

No, the fix is to change registery.

Read the comments on that link provided.

Issue seems to be a compatibility issue between the hub and the wireless adapter on some devices. According to microsoft they are working on an updated driver to help resolve the issue, however they state that the issue is actually caused by a quirk with the BT home hub 5 routers that doesn't comply with wifi standards.

0 Ratings