Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coadhall
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Dial up speed WiFi

Go to solution

I have just come back to BT after 3 years with Sky, their Broadband router was pretty well rubbish for power etc so I used a WiFi booster.  SO when coming back to BT, with your much advertised Smart Hub, I thought great, and passed the TP link to my daughter.  Oh how wrong I was, the broadband speed is great, if I want to plug my laptop in and get all involved with Windows etc, but the WiFi speed is atrocious, lots of power, I can now wait ages to download anywhere in the house.  I downloaded an app to my phone, a Galaxy S10, the app was 12.4 Mb, it took 8 minutes to download, what the hell is that all about, It would have been quicker to get the hard-copy of the app and enter it myself.  I have tried all of the patronizing answers I found on line, and not a jot of difference.  Anyone got any idea on how or if they are actually going to fix this, it seems to be an ongoing issue, or do they just take our money and laugh down their sleeves at us.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Dial up speed WiFi

Go to solution

@coadhall 

Try turning Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

This is just a customer to customer help forum, so your posting does not go to BT.

0 Ratings
coadhall
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Keith

Tried that, and moved the channel all over the place to try and improve things, no change, just simple things like scrolling through Facebook newsfeed, getting fed up with the whirly buffering circle if a picture needs opening.  Router is on shelf about 1 meter above my right shoulder with nothing near it

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Try a factory reset of the hub, if that doesn't work get on to customer services and ask for a replacement hub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@coadhall wrote:

Hi Keith

Tried that, and moved the channel all over the place to try and improve things, no change, just simple things like scrolling through Facebook newsfeed, getting fed up with the whirly buffering circle if a picture needs opening.  Router is on shelf about 1 meter above my right shoulder with nothing near it

It could be that your devices do not like the fact that both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSID are the same. Try turning off the 5GHz wireless on the home hub, and see if you get a better speed.

Also check the speed of Ethernet connected devices, just in case its a problem with your actual Internet connection.

You should also be able to check the connection speed by looking at the home hub web interface.

0 Ratings
coadhall
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Keith

Thanks for that, will give it a go tonight when get home, I did think that the 5Ghz was supposed to be the fastest, but will give a go

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@coadhall wrote:

Hi Keith

Thanks for that, will give it a go tonight when get home, I did think that the 5Ghz was supposed to be the fastest, but will give a go

What can happen is that dual band devices will keep trying to swap between the two bands, and this causes loss of speed.

One solution is to turn off 5GHz, then make sure every device connects to 2.4GHz first, then you can turn 5GHz back on if you want to.

The devices will remember the BSSID of the 2.4GHz radio module in the home hub, and should not then attempt to connect to the 5GHz band.

As for the speed, very few portable devices are capable of actually processing the extra potential speed of a 5GHz connection, and the range is quite limited.

albertj
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@coadhallwrote:

Hi Keith

One solution is to turn off 5GHz, then make sure every device connects to 2.4GHz first, then you can turn 5GHz back on if you want to.

@coadhall 

If you have the Smart Hub 1, looks like this:

bt-smart-hub-1-640x447.jpg

You can change the name between 2.4G and 5G, instead of this method. So when connecting you can choose the band.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
coadhall
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks, switched off the 5 Ghz and now an improvement, shame yoi have to go through these questions to get a result.

Many thanks