Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CraigJD
Message 1 of 7

Difference Between Downstream Line Rate and Downstream Range

Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm looking into broadband options and ran BT's speed test on my postcode. It came back with two different figures -Downtream Line Rate (Mbps) , which was up to 1 and Downstream Range (Mbps) which was between 0.75 and 2.5. 

I was wondering if anybody knew the exact difference between the two as there seems to be very little info available online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Difference Between Downstream Line Rate and Downstream Range

Go to solution

One would be for ADSL MAX, and the other would be for ADSL2+. On a long line like yours, there is very little difference, but ADSl2+, has a better upload speed.

SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

The Downstream Range refers to the expected range of connection speeds you may receive depending on the condition of the line, distance and other various factors. If your line quality is poor, you may get the lower end of the estimate (but it may be improved): a good or excellent line will see the higher end of the estimate (in some cases, you may get above the estimate).

The downstream line rate refers to the speed that the checker estimates your line should receive. This can be inaccurate in some cases (for example, it says that my connection would be "Up to 1mbps", but I always get a minimum of 1.5mbps, closer to 2mbps in reality). Remember that the checker only relies on an estimate: when your service is started, you might get a connection speed that is better or worse than the estimate shows, as the checker does not take into account line quality, just the distance of your line and the average speeds others on similar lines get on your exchange.

Please enter your phone number into the following checker and post the results. Don't forget that this is a publically viewable forum so do NOT include your phone number when you post the results: http://dslchecker.bt.com (this is the checker that all ISP's use to determine the speed range and "up to" speed you should receive when ordering a broadband package).

(Postcode checker is not very accurate. If you don't have a BT phone number, then use the Address Checker and NOT postcode checker)

@Keith_Beddoe The downstream line rate and downstream range is displayed for both ADSL Max and ADSL2+ connections (with ADSL2+ showing a slightly better range estimate, even if having exactly the same line rate as ADSL Max).

0 Ratings
CraigJD
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi both, 

Thanks very much for getting back so quickly. That makes a great deal more sense to me now, so it is much appreciated.

Best,

Craig

0 Ratings
CraigJD
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Hi @SuperSajuuk and @Keith_Beddoe, thanks again for getting back to me and answering my question.

Just quickly so I can be 100% sure on this- do you mean that the downstream range refers to the range of speeds you can get from min to max depending on various factors, whereas the downstream line rate is an estimate for the average speed your line should receive depending on line quality, the distance of the line and average speeds on similar lines at the same exchange?

Thanks very much once again.
Craig
0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@CraigJD Yes, that is correct. Range is the min/max (obviously if your speed is always below the min and never goes above the min, you can raise a fault as you would be "below acceptable estimates") and line rate is the expected average, which is generally based on similar speeds others on your exchange at the same distance are achieving.

This post by @jac_95 is a good read and is a great explanation, which goes into more detail than my post does: https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Broadband-Availability-Checker/m-p/1065552#M6869...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

See link for what BT say about what you can expect.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

0 Ratings