Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CQNZR
Message 1 of 15

Different BT Router on Different Connection

Go to solution
Hey guys. Recently my router just conked out and died. So we decided to get another router from my brother which he is no longer using.

They both appear to be the exact same model however the internet does not seem to be working after setting it back up on our connection.

I didn't think this would be an issue seeing as though its one BT router connecting to a different internet connection also provided by BT. The lights are doing their thing and saying we have no broadband.

The last connection it was on was discontinued would that also mean the router was also shut down too? It sounds impossible but yeah.

If it is possible to use this router. Then how would I go about doing so. It appeared to be working fine with its original owner until they discontinued their service so there shouldn't be any problems with the modem. Would it be a compatibility issue? As we both used different broadband packages his being the lower package.
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Different BT Router on Different Connection

Go to solution
are you using infinity or standard copper broadband what version of the hub is it
0 Ratings
CQNZR
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
Its a BT Home Hub 5 - Type A
0 Ratings
CQNZR
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
And we're using BT Infinity too.
0 Ratings
CQNZR
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution
And the router were swapping to is the same but a Type B I'm already feeling as though its a compatibility issue.

Is there a way around this ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

If it is definitely a Homehub 5 and not a Homehub 4, which looks the same, you should be able to use it with out problem. Try a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.

0 Ratings
CQNZR
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
It turns out it is in fact Home Hub 4.0 after all.

My apologies.

Would it still be usable or do we just get a new router ordered?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

It won't work on its own. You would need an Openreach modem to connect it through. You can get them on ebay for about £20.

If you are still in contract you should get a replacement HH5 under warranty if it is faulty.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

What happened to your present HH5. Is it possibly a power supply fault. If it is you could try the HH4 power supply.

0 Ratings
CQNZR
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
We also have an EchoLife HG612 provided by BT.
0 Ratings