cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bberlinn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Different Broadband Speed, Different Routers Same Wired and Wireless Connections

Go to solution

I am experiencing different broadband speed and ping on different routers on the same wired and wireless connection.

I recently bought two routers—BT Smart Hub 1 and Netgear R7800 Nighthawk to retire my BT Home Hub 5, which has served me for four years, and to improve WiFi signal strength in certain parts of my flat, notably the kitchen, master bedroom and toilet area [same-floor property with thick walls].

The BT Smart Hub did improve the overall WiFi signal strength in my flat. However, I have since returned it because my broadband speed and ping with the SH were not on par with those of the HH5.

I experienced broadband speed of 38 to 44Mbps and ping of 14 to 17ms with the SM compared to 50 to 53Mbps and 7 to 10ms with the HH5 on wired and wireless connections over 5 days. My telephone line is profiled to handle 57Mbps.

I ordered the Netgear R7800 and got it set up with BT Openreach modem-version 2B. While I am experiencing consistent strong wifi signal strength, especially on the 5Ghz radio band, my broadband speed is stalling at 38 to 44Mbps with pings of 14 to 17ms, causing buffering wth 4K and even HD video content.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the broadband setup and configuration with two new routers that can't match the broadband speed of the HH5. I have 'played' with different cabling and wifi channels to no avail. I don't know if the problem is with the modem (I have tried reseting the modem, no change.). I have tried reseting the wired and wireless network adapters to no avail.

Please help.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Different Broadband Speed, Different Routers Same Wired and Wireless Connections

Go to solution
If it is an ECI modem it won't have G.Inp capability
bberlinn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Re: Different Broadband Speed, Different Routers Same Wired and Wireless Connections

Go to solution

Thanks for your advice, Licquorice.

It seems my modem is an ECI modem (pictures below). Any modem recommendation, please?

I'm somewhat sceptical if a new modem would resolve the problem as I experienced the same speed throttle and high pings with the BT Smart Hub 1, which is a combo modem router.

IMG_2335.JPGIMG_2334.JPG

0 Ratings
bberlinn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

It appears my modem isn't an ECI modem as originally thought by the details on this website https://support.aa.net.uk/FTTC_Modem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
No, that is an Huawei as you can see from the label.
It is probably due to the different chipsets used in the various devices.
As an aside, why did you buy the R7800 and a modem rather than the all on one D 7800
0 Ratings
bberlinn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
I've had the Openreach modem as part of my broadband service with BT 10 years ago.

I resurrected the modem from my DIY storage for use with the R7800, which I bought for £129, less expensive compared to D7800's £199.

Customers' reviews of the R7800's wifi signal range, strength, and stability led me to prefer it over the D7800, which received some unpalatable customer complaints on amazon.

Thanks once more for your response.

I’m thinking buying the DrayTek Vigor 130, but I’m unsure if it would solve my two problems—low broadband speed and high latency associated with the R7800.

Last evening I reverted to using my BT Home Hub 5. My speed climbed back to 50mbps with a 9ms latency, something neither the R7800 nor the BT Smart Hub 1 could achieve.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Without actually trying the Draytek, it's not really possible to say how it will perform. Rather than trying to get one device to provide WiFi coverage, have you considered using multiple devices, either dedicated systems or a spare hub configured as a wireless access point.
0 Ratings
bberlinn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I thought I provide an update to my problem and solution.

Licquorice, I can't thank you enough for suggesting my ECI modem could be the cause. In a leap of faith I went for the DrayTek Vigor 130 modem, though expensive (£82.29), because it's BT 498 MCT approved.

Though it's marketed as a plug and play modem, I had to enter the modem's GUI to set it in bridge mode to get it to work with my R7800 router.

To be fair, I see why the V130 could be called a PnP modem if using an ethernet cable connected from its LAN port to a PC's ethernet port, and then enter broadband PPPoE details, of course. I was thrilled my broadband speed test showed: download 51mbps and 6ms latency (the lowest latency I have ever had on my connection).

Now the moment of truth. Modem in bridge mode connected to the R7800 router, broadband speedtest showed: download 51mbps and 6ms latency. I was even more thrilled when speedtest showed download 48.8mbps and 7.8ms latency over my vpn connection.

I will update this thread should I encounter any problem. So far I am pleased with my solution. Though expensive, I like the fact the V130 modem is BT approved and "configured", and has a GUI to control its settings and update its firmware.

Thanks once more, Licquorice.

DrayTek.jpg

0 Ratings