Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
converse420
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Digital voice BT Disc Problems

Hi,

I have BT Digital voice on my broadband from BT. I'm experiencing disconnection problems at the most distant parts of my house. I do have a wired ethernet connection at this point, but this does not help me as the DV handsets are WIFi.

Question if I plug in a new disk (black ones) via the ethernet cable will the disc still act as an access point for my network, or will it create a loop?

It makes sense for me to have a disc at this distant location, but as it would have to traverse another disc before reaching the smart hub, so a physical connection seems to make more sense?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Digital voice BT Disc Problems

@converse420 

The digital Voice handset use DECT not WiFi so altering your wireless network will make no difference.

The smart hub 2 is the DECT base station, so DV coverage depends on the distance from the home hub.

0 Ratings
converse420
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Keith

The HD DV handsets I have are configured using WPS, also I seem to be seeing a separate SIP session per handset on diagnostics when each handset is in use, so I assumed WiFi. I also have a conventional Dect phone plugged into the back of my Smarthub 2 which works fine at the distant points of the house, its just the HD DV handsets that fail (I have 4 and they all perform poorly at distance)

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

as @Keith_Beddoe said the DV handsets are dect and connect to the SH2  maybe the other phone connected is causing problems if 2 dect base stations in such close proximity

I have DV and 2 handets and never have a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
converse420
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I've been using Digital Voice for months without issues , however recently I moved one of my BT Discs and have DV phone issues since then. ( I've also had the same Panasonic DECT base station plunged into the phone socket on the rear of the SH2 since day 1 without issue).

Begrudgingly I do now have to concur about the phones being DECT, although BT have certainly muddied the waters. So for my own sanity I:

• Deregistered an Advanced DV handset
  • Changed The DECT pin on the SH2
  • Disabled WPS on the SH2
  • Disabled WiFi on the SH2.

After all of this I was still able to reregister my phone to the SH2 using the WPS button, albeit also with the new DECT pin being required.

I'm actually a bit sad about this, as I have more options to improve the reach of my WiFi with a combination of Discs and cables than I do with DECT.

In my scenario, both my wife and I are homeworkers and have a shared study at the bottom of our garden, and when it works, the DV phones work great as we can both make and receive calls even when the line is in use by another, unfortunately it looks like we will lose this functionality by reverting to our legacy Panasonic DECT phone system.

Thanks to all

Regards

Dale

0 Ratings