cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nambo
Message 1 of 6

Disabling Wi Fi on the BT hub 3

I have the BT hub 3 tx4j

Just as schools are tending to ban WiFi over negative health issues,I like to limit EMF exposure in my home by always using wires rather than wireless.

Now when I bought the package from BT, I was assured that just by using an Ethernet cable, WiFi on this modem would be disabled and there would be no WiFi transmissions whatsoever from the device. Is this really the case?, why does the WiFi blue light still come on?, how can I tell?, can I turn it off? If not, can I just purchase a non WiFi modem from say Amazon and would it still be plug and play with my BT account?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Disabling Wi Fi on the BT hub 3

If you opt out of BT Wifi, then you should be able to turn the wireless off.

There is nothing to stop you using a non wifi router, provided its suitable for BT (ADSL) lines, assuming that you are not on Infinity.

0 Ratings
Nambo
Message 3 of 6

Thanks Keith, your information lead me to my online "BT Home Hub Manager" where indeed on "Information for Helpdesk Agents" I read:- 11. Wireless connections: Enabled (b/g/n, 20M, WPS Enabled)

Any Idea how I turn it off please?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

First you need to opt out of BT Wifi.

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do

Once your hub has stopped transmitting the BTWifi signals, then you should be able to turn WiFi off, using the BT Hub wireless settings page.

This may take a few days.

0 Ratings
Nambo
Message 5 of 6

Just tried that thanks, it says:-"  Customer product is not on allowed product list."

So I presume Iam not opte in for the nationwide coverage, but is this the same as a wifi signal being produced from my home hub for use in my home?

Whatever, still doesnt allow me in to change anything.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

If you are not opted in, then you should be able to turn off the wireless from the home hub menu, that will turn off your normal wifi signal.

The only way to be sure, is to check using a device which has Wifi access, and see if you can see any signals being transmitted from your home hub.

The actual signal power is very low i.e 1/10th of a watt, so its unlikely to cause any issues. Microwave ovens tend to leak more power than that, and digital phones also transmit wireless signals.

0 Ratings