cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Atabner
Message 1 of 7

Discs not daisy-chaining

Hi all

I have a standard 3 disc home hub setup. I was under the impression they should link in series to improve range - however, it would appear (from the network diagram in the app and from their performance) that they’re all trying to link to the first disc. Whatever I do with them in terms of location, the third disc is always yellow, with slow connection for devices.

Is there any way to force them to run in series, or anything else I can do to improve coverage? I’m not in a particularly large house - there was only one room not covered by the router before I got the home hub kit.

Thanks!
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
peterh0001
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Discs not daisy-chaining

Are any of the slaves connected via the ethernet port - if so then this will present as all connected to the master in the app ??

Have you tried rebooting the system

0 Ratings
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

If you go to the app, what is the band and signal strength reading for the Wi-Fi discs?

You could move the 3rd disc further from the 1st disc (next to hub) to force it to daisy chain.

Reboot them in order (with the power button) - 1, then 2 then 3.

hubster999
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

I'd have to agree with you there - they definitely don't daisy chain properly. I had 3 discs, and got an extra couple to try and improve connectivity (as I had one disc reporting as 'Poor'). 

Even with 5 discs that original 'Poor' disc (which is furthest away) still connects to the master and remains at 'Poor'.

I'm hoping this will be sorted with a later firmware update, as it's supposed to be one of the main selling points.

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

I have the same issue (along with other issues), the remote discs dont daisy chain, they arent even that far away from each other and are in effect in a straight line of sight of each other, disc 1 (router) - disc 2 (maybe 20ft from disc 1) - disc 3 (maybe 40ft from disc 1 but 20ft from disc2).  Disc 2 reports an excellent/good signal 5ghz connection to Disc1 but Disc 3 insists on connecting to disc 1 and fluctuates between good and poor, it even flips to 2.4 ghz.

If i power down and turn on they will daisy chain again and all report good signals at 5ghz but if you turn one off or reboot the system they go back to non daisy chain and a poor connection on disc 3 unless i move it to within about 6 feet of disc 2 which is on the other side of a wall.  Baring in mind if i turn disc 3 in the lounge off my laptop in the lounge will connect to disc 2 at 5ghz full signal, reporting 433mbps plus and full download speeds, makes no sense.

I have tried moving them about, changing location but daisy chaining is a rarity if at all unless you power up in a certain sequence.  The problem is they wont maintain that topology.

0 Ratings
Atabner
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for the replies. 

Have tried rebooting in order - no luck.

1 - Ethernet, signal strength NA

2 - 5GHz, -65

3 - 2.4GHz, -72

What does that tell you?

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

-65 is a good signal
-72 is a fairly good signal too although it looks like disc 3 is connecting the backhaul at 2.4 which isn’t ideal as it’s open to greater interference. Mine connect at -75 all at 5ghz but your 5ghz is likely to be weaker than that if 2.4 is -65 hence why it’s connecting at 2.4

It would be interesting to know what these systems have as thresholds to connect each discs backhaul at 5ghz before they switch to 2.4 and also thresholds of discs daisy chaining or not. I assume it must be based on signal strength of each disc. If so IMO the system seems to favour connecting to disc 1 in almost all scenarios even favouring 2.4ghz.

Basically it appears that your disc 3 is to far from disc 1 to connect at 5ghz but disc 2 isn’t near enough for disc 3 or isn’t providing a strong enough connection to disc 1 for disc 3 to favour connecting to it.
0 Ratings