cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lizmk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Do BT do something to stop non-BT routers working with Infinity?

I have been with BT for a number of years, but don’t want to use the home hub as I have never managed to get the port forwarding to work for my CCTV cameras or Suresignal. as well as other functions that didn't work as I wanted.  I bought an Acer router a few years ago, and it worked perfectly for 11 months, then it would not pick up an internet signal.  Total reset and configuration didn’t work, so I contacted Acer and supplier and was able to get a full refund.  I then bought a Netgear router which, once again, worked perfectly for around 8 months, then would not pick up the internet signal.  I took it back to the store and got a replacement (same model) which worked fine for a couple of months then it kept dropping the connection.  Each time I switched back to the BT home hub, and was able to get a signal.  I contacted Netgear who advised me to do a complete re-set (by holding a paper clip in the pin hole for 2 minutes, which wasn’t comfortable!), and set it up from scratch, using the IP address of my current machine, and specified DNS as 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 instead of leaving them as provided by ISP.  This appeared to work for a while, but before long, the connection dropped again.  This has continued on and off for the last few months, and usually, the only way to resolve the problem is to repeat this hard re-set process and set everything up from scratch, including all the port forwarding. 

Why should it be that I can get a working internet connection with BT using their router (without the additional functionality I require), but cannot get a reliable connection on a third party router?   Do I need to request BT allow me access to a third party router? 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Do BT do something to stop non-BT routers working with Infinity?

Hi,

BT don't bother what make of modem/router you use. They just insist on the Hub being connected if you call support. Basically they only have script readers in the call centres, so Hubs only for simplicity.

Personally never had problems, (inside the warranty period), with Netgears.

The Billion I used when on ADSL was flawless and made a slightly faster connection than the Hubs. It was very stable when compared with the Hub and with better wireless coverage.

On Infinity I've been using a Fritzbox for about 3 years, never dropped connection yet.

Billion and the Fritz are both very configurable and would recommend either over the Netgear. Though in saying that Netgear usually make quite good kit.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

I've been uising Asus routers for the past 4 years on Infinity with never a problem.

Currently using a DSL-AC68U which is brilliant. Did have aproblem a few weeks back using non-BT DNS servers but that was a fairly general problem but over now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I have never used a Home Hub on either ADSL or Infinity and have had no problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 5 of 6

Looking at the ever growing list of threads regarding just how awful the Homehubs are, I'm 100% confident that switching to a decent non-BT router would resolve so many issues.

Since swiching to an Asus (others makes would also work just as well) I have not had a single issue.

0 Ratings
lizmk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

hmm, so I need to keep badgering Netgear support I guess for a solution that will work.  I just wanted to rule out that BT might  be causing me a problem.

thanks for replies

0 Ratings