cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Do I need a modem if I want to replace the hub?

Go to solution

I do notice that we have a large white box mounted on the wall that must serve as a modem for the hub but, my question being, can I get away with just replacing the router or do I need a modem too?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Do I need a modem if I want to replace the hub?

Go to solution

It depends on what type of Fibre connection you have.

If you have FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) you can just replace the router with any router that has a WAN port. You will need to keep the Fibre modem.

If you have FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) you can either replace just the router as long as it has a WAN port or if you want to do away with the Openreach modem you will need a VDSLModem/Router.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Well, Its a new build and I have the option to get full fibre 900 but , the BT hut manager states External (FTTX)?

It looks to me like we have fibre to the premesis as BT have used a virgin media socket where the modem connects to.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

do you have something like this ONT

ONT fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

IMG_2357.jpgIMG_2358.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You have FTTP, the white ONT ( modem) has to stay. You can replace the hub with any third party router of your choice with a WAN port. It is not necessary to buy a combined modem/ router.

Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for that. Fingers crossed I see better results when it comes to online gameplay. 

0 Ratings