cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oats40
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Do I need an engineer?

Hi, I've just switch to BT BB and phone from Sky BB and phone and recieved an email telling me the date of the change over and that an engineer is booked for that day, my question is do I actually need one? I've read that your need a call out if your signing up for BT infinity but do you need one just Broadband? Everytime I've changed ISP's in the past they've just sent the router and I've set it up myself.

Also I've read that you can use your own router instead of the HH, all you have to do is log in with BT details, does this mean I just log in with the BT details where I'd normally log in with my Sky details or do I first log in with the old Sky username and password and then change username and password to the BT ones? One other thing (sorry for all the questions) if I use my old router, do I still have to install the disc that I presume will come with the HH or is that just to set up the HH itself? I know these are basic questions but I haven't a clue about this sort of stuff.

Many thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Do I need an engineer?

You should not need an engineer to call at your house but one might be needed to make changes at the exchange.

You can use your own router without any problem. This username works:  bthomehub@btbroadband.com only use a pass word if the router asks for one. It can be anything. Other have reported that any name before ... @btbroadband also works. 

See this link for other settings if you need them.

http://btybb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7447/~/how-do-i-set-up-my-non-bt-router%3F

I would not install any of the rubbish that comes on the BT CD. Use it as a beer mat or for anything else that you want except what it was made to do.

Oats40
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Maybe I'll use the disc as a frisbee then. Smiley Happy

Many thanks for your help, so on the day I just need to log into my excisting router using my old password, change it to what you told me and that's it, I'm ready to carry on using the net? Also this log in page, it's the one you get by putting in that code of numbers and dots into the address bar right? Sorry clueless like I said.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Yes that's correct. I presume by "this log in page" you mean the one to get to the set up page for your router. If so it will be something like 192.168.1.1

Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

If you get the Home Hub 4 there is no disc all the addons are preinstalled on the hub
Oats40
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

@john46 wrote:
If you get the Home Hub 4 there is no disc all the addons are preinstalled on the hub

Thanks for the info.

0 Ratings
Oats40
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Afier all that it seems my router is locked to Sky firmware and apparently I have to unlock it and install the Manufacturers  firmware, no idea on how to do that so it seems it's a no go. Smiley Sad

0 Ratings