cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Do hubs need to be replaced?

Spoiler
Maybe a stupid question, but I've a Home Hub 3 and it's been suggested that I may need a new hub - as there have been multiple new hubs since I got mine, also as I am having problems with my WiFi that I can't seem to resolve. 

Would I have to pay for this myself, or given how long I've been with bt would they replace it for free? If so, how would I contact bt about this? 
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Do hubs need to be replaced?

@Babybloodheart wrote:
Spoiler
Maybe a stupid question, but I've a Home Hub 3 and it's been suggested that I may need a new hub - as there have been multiple new hubs since I got mine, also as I am having problems with my WiFi that I can't seem to resolve. 

Would I have to pay for this myself, or given how long I've been with bt would they replace it for free? If so, how would I contact bt about this? 

What type of broadband connection do you have?

If the WiFi is cutting out, its more  likely to be a noisy phone line.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

If you are still in a contract, then BT will replace the home hub for free, if its the cause of the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

I don't have a phone to be able to check the phone line.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@Babybloodheart wrote:

I don't have a phone to be able to check the phone line.

Its very unlikely to be the home hub, as they either work, or they don`t.

If the lights on the hub are changing colour when you get the disconnection, then its a faulty phone line. It could easily be a disconnection on one wire of your line, and you would not get dial tone.

Without checking for noise on your landline, there is nothing else you can do. A noisy landline is the cause of nearly all broadband issues, and cannot be detected by the normal BT line test.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £10) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.