Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
blueshift86
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Does BT hub 6 have a handover protocol

Hello,

I've been reading about Mesh networks with great interest. Our current set up (until this afternoon when one of the bt hubs packed in) was a Master hub (BT hub 6), connected to a slave router (bt hub 5), over a powerline adapter, with the slave router acting as an AP. 

However, despite this configuration working pretty well most of the time, the problem I had was when I moved around the house, my iphone would not seamlessly jump between the two routers, despite the SSID being the same. 

I was wondering whether anyone knows whether there is a better way to set up a network so that the handover between various routers is more seamless? What i'm aiming for is: if i'm listening to internet radio on my phone and walking around the house with my phone, currently the radio stops for a bit, until it switches to the new router and the radio resumes. 

I understand from the MESH wifi networks that are coming out, the handover is much more seamless so there are no drop outs. Can I use two BT routers to achieve the same effect, or does the standard BT routers lack the relevant handover protocols to make this work?

If anyone knows any standard cheap routers that support this feature, can you let me know please. I want to avoid spending £300+ on google wifi etc!

Thanks!+

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Does BT hub 6 have a handover protocol

The only way to achieve what you want is via a mesh system that has the necessary software. The BT Whole Home wifi system is one such system as is Google and Ubiquiti. https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-whole-home-wi-fi-088269-CDXH.html

blueshift86
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Are these three the only companies that offer MESH networks at the moment? I'm surprised handover protocols aren't available on commercially available routers yet.

Thanks for your help @licquorice
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

If you Google wireless mesh system, the first hit is a review of systems by PCmag. I can't post a link as it is against forum rules.