cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Does SH2 Support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad

Hi All

Does the SH2 support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad?

If not would a network switch that does be able to be used for WAN Aggregation.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Does SH2 Support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad

It doesn't, but surely you need ISP support for aggregation as well as a capable device locally and BT don't support that either.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Sorry I am possibly showing my misunderstanding.

I was under the impression that WAN aggregation is just using two Gigabit connections to the modem, Its not an issue to be honest as the Asus AX11000 is providing 1.1Gbps at ethernet and between 100Mbps (At farthest reach) to 500-600Mbps on WiFi just being greedy lol

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

As far as I'm aware you can't just aggregate 2 connections at the Customer end, they need to be aggregated at the ISP end as well. You can have 2 discrete connections though.

I can't imagine what you would need 1Gbps for in a domestic setting let alone 2Gbps. 😀

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

As it stands we have BT FTTH 900 and a local firm has just completed the installation of FTTH as well on a completely independent network to BT as we signed up when they first proposed the network we are annoyingly tied to the contract so they are installing this free for 12 months until BT contract over. So in meantime will have two 1Gbps connections lol. 
The local firm does promise 1Gbps down and up as opposed to BTs 100Mbps upload.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

There are routers out there that are capable of having those 2 lines in aggregation at once and load bearing and so on but some limit the routers internal paths but you see that more on 2.5 gigs and above ie you have a 10 gig connection but you can only use 2 gig shared across the lan ports, the XR700 comes to mind.

Dont forget that lan ports mostly support a max of 1000mbps too so you will not get 2 gigs that way on a single connection. 
Also with such high speed connections if you end up with a router with threat control ie IDS and IPS they can throttle your connection and the same applies to QoS if say you wanted to control bufferbloat on the BT connection as it’s upload is low. So say you went to Ubiquiti and purchased the UDM it will limit with threat control on to 850mbps where the UDM Pro can do 1 gig and over, they claim 3 gigs for the Pro model. 

By the looks of it you are using a 2x2 client to test your Asus WiFi hence the throughput. The problem with at a distance it’s reading 100Mbps is that while you get that throughput and while the router can chuck out the signal at a good range the client can’t always communicate back so you end up with retransmissions which can slow down the network as the device starts to hog the airtime. The same applies to interference as the routers catching more neighbouring channels and while WiFi 6 clients have benefits any older device will suffer which leads back to why you might be getting the throughput you have depending on what client it is.
the same applies if the signal is too strong for the client which is why some will limit the transmit rate to suit clients and use APs to cover an area.

Ive the RAX120 and it chucks out the 5Ghz way too much and the stats don’t work correctly as it always shows 0 retries where I know at range it has to be where as the UDM I also use shows retries but again proving it’s accurate is not so easy but a least it’s showing them.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for this very informative I think I follow about 90% of it.

As it stands we ha e switched off Wi-Fi on SH2 and using Asus AX11000 and an AiMesh using AX6100 and we are getting consistent 400+ Mbps on Wi-Fi devices (apart from old devices) so all is good.

No more dropping to 10Mbps with the SH2.