cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pechnatunk
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Does a repeater halve, or reduce the speed of the router it is connected to?

Hi, 

We have a BT Home Hub that can only reach speeds of maximum 5mbps according to Speedtest.

I called BT and they said our ADSL line and Home Hub should be getting between 15-20mbps.

I have also tried connecting a cable directly to the router and it is no faster than using the wifi even when on the other side of the house.  This leads me to believe that there is some other thing slowing our internet down. I have tried the 5GHz wifi and also a TPLink Repeater wifi connected to our router.

(There is also something called BT-with-Fon which I haven't connected to).

I initially thought the TPLink repeater was a neighbour's wifi on the same channel but noticed that every time I tried to change our wifi channnel the TPLink followed it.  I then tried to connect to the TPLink using our password and it worked, that's when I realised it must be somewhere in the house.

To clarify -  I have just moved in recently and noticed the slow speed, I have logged into the Home Hub itself where I tried to change channels referencing Netspot app on my Mac,  and I called BT,  but that is as far as I can get without being the account holder - I'm hoping the landlord will soon give me access to troubleshoot this with BT.

But at the moment I'm just after general information about what may be slowing our connection down.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Does a repeater halve, or reduce the speed of the router it is connected to?

Can you post the line stats from the hub and the result of the checker https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ Edit out your phone number before posting screenshot.

0 Ratings
pechnatunk
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Re: Does a repeater halve, or reduce the speed of the router it is connected to?

Thanks, 

I don't know of our Access line ID, UPRN number nor if we have a landline for this house, but I put where we live in the Address Checker link and this is the result in the table:

https://ibb.co/i0TnXd 

I don't know how to embed a pic so please let me know if that link doesn't work.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Are you the BT account holder? If you are you would have been given the phone number when you signed up. If you are not you need to contact the account holder and get the number.

If it is rented accomodation you should also ask about the wireless repeater and the set up of the broadband at the address.

0 Ratings
pechnatunk
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Hi, 

Thanks. I mentioned in the first post that I am not the account holder.  I'm asking generally if a repeater reduces the performance of a router.  I intend to contact the account holder but would like to know this info first. 

There is a chance that the account holder/landlord is sharing this Hub with other apartments.  In which case I'd be happy to offer a bit more money, because I would really like the internet improved.

However if the repeater is just for our house and the way it works is by splitting the available bandwidth - then it may be better to disconnect it as the house is not that large.

That's why I'm hoping to get some generalrouter/repeater performance questions answered before contacting the account holder.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Without you posting the stats asked for it is difficult to say if there is a problem with your connection or your internal wiring. 

In general any repeater will give out less than what it gets in. Because a repeater is set up usually at the limit of a wireless range it usually gives out a poor signal. This however should not affect a wired connection.

If you know where the repeater is you could always try turning it off to see if things improve.

0 Ratings
pechnatunk
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Apologies - I didn't realise the above link did not work. Here it is copied in - the formatting has gotten a bit messed up - I hope it still makes some sense.

I will have a look for where the repeater actually is.

Thanks.

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability Date  High Low High Low      Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Other Offerings     Availability Date 

VDSL Range A (Clean)8062.5201954.8Available-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)75.448.92015.739.8Available-- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available-- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available-- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available-- 
ADSL MaxUp to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available-- 
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available-- 
Fixed Rate2----Available-- 
VDSL Multicast------Available-- 
ADSL Multicast------Available--
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

I have taken that you are not on a fibre package?

If you are on ADSL2 according to the checker you should be getting between 10 to 20Mbps if on ADSL it is up to 7Mbps. 

It may be that there is a problem with the line.

Can you run this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

You need to connect a phone and check if there Is any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

The wifi repeater will have no effect on an Ethernet connection directly to the hub, which you say is also a problem. It is more likely to be a problem with your line.

0 Ratings
pechnatunk
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Great! Thanks for this I will run these tests when I get home.

0 Ratings