cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparkymark75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Does the OpenReach ONT do any routing?

So I'm having issues with my Google wifi restarting itself sporadically. I don't know what the issue is and judging by Google support, neither do they I'm humouring their suggestions at present. Their latest one is that I am double NAT'd.

They are claiming the OR ONT is acting as a router as they can see that the default gateway for my Google wifi (which is connected directly to the ONT) is 172.16.19.144

Beside the fact I'm not sure how a double NAT situation would cause a router to fall over, is there anything with FTTP that would cause a double NAT? I assumed that the ONT was, in laymans terms, acting like a modem and did no routing.

Previously Google support have claimed there was some sort of authentication issue. But I'm not sure what that was exactly as they haven't mentioned it again. This setup had been stable since December last year and only started to act up in the last month or so. The main Google wifi unit just reboots itself meaning I lose all connectivity.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Does the OpenReach ONT do any routing?

The ONT is just a modem. 172.16.19.144 is the BT BRAS, i.e your WAN Gateway.

0 Ratings
sparkymark75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Isn't 172.*.*.* a private address? Which will be why Google are suggesting the ONT is acting like a router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Yes, its a private address on the private network that is BT's broadband network.

My current Gateway is 172.16.12.3

0 Ratings