cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Double Nat

Hi

I recently bought a new router that I haven't really used too much as rest of my family don't want me removing the smart hub 2.

I get really bad imout delay whilst gaming so thought I would just plug my new router into one of the smart hubs etherney ports then use a wired connection from new router to PlayStation.

So despite now being double NAT'd, my ping almost halved and I kept a moderate Nat type which I believe is open on the playstation. 

Gameplay also feels a bit better but still not perfect.

Whats the reasons for this positive step despite me making connection theoretically worse? And anything else I could do to improve it?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Double Nat

Anyone got any advice

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Why have you plugged another router into the SH?

Use either the SH or the new router. If you have digital voice you will need to keep the SH. If you are using the new router to improve routing/wifi functionality over the BT router remove the SH and use the new one.

As it is you have 2 routers providing DHCP addresses on your LAN causing the double NAT. If you want the new router connected to the SH you will need to put in into 'bridge mode' or turn off DHCP essentially turning it into a switch.

Are both routers broadcasting 2 different wifi SSID's?

Very confused as to why you have done this, need more info..

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

If you want to use a second router as a wireless point or to get additional sockets turn off dhcp on the slave.

0 Ratings