Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaronf
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Draytek 2862, Ubiquiti unfi and Sky Q setup

Hi There,

I am looking at getting a Draytek 2862, Ubiquiti unifi NanoHD access points. Does anyone have any recommended settings for them? Whats it like setting Sky Q up with those products as I know they can be a pain with some routers?

Thanks

Aaron

11 REPLIES 11
albertj
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Draytek 2862, Ubiquiti unfi and Sky Q setup

Very nice setup! The NanoHD's especially. 
Can I ask why you're opting for the Draytek and not a modem + USG solution, to allow for better integration between your AP's and everything else? And for better logs. 

You will need your PPPoE connection details, depending on if you're on ADSL or VDSL.

I can't comment on Sky I am afraid. You could also post your question on the Sky Community or the ISPreview Forum.

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
aaronf
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Hi @albertj 

I have been looking at the USG also. I think that the Draytek has more features over the USG. I was looking at a Draytek vigor 130 and USG but then seen the Draytek vigor 2862. Do you use a USG? 

I will be using PPPoE. I had an Asus router earlier this year but it wasn't very good and setting up PPPoE wasn't easy because of its buggy interface. 

My Sky Q box is connected via ethernet I don't think there should be a problem?

Thanks for your help

albertj
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

Oh nice. Yes, I suppose. Haven't used much DrayTek equipment myself, but it seems pretty good. No, I went the EdgeMAX/OS router myself, with some regrets. As it's easier to do stuff in the UniFi controller with a USG.

yea, the draytek should be ok with that. How are you powering the AP's?

Again can't really comment, I can't see why it would cause a problem, but again, not a Sky Q User 😞

--
0 Ratings
aaronf
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I haven't bought the equipment yet but I will be powering downstairs ap on a 8 port poe switch which I will also use to power the cloud key and the upstairs I will just use the PoE injector. 

Which Cloud key do you use?

albertj
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

That a UniFi switch? Yea, I only have one AP that covers my house, so I use the Injector on a UPS.

I currently use a hosted controller on Oracle Free Cloud Tier (not rejoicing about using Oracle) and am moving to a Raspberry Pi. I went for the Pi, as it was cheaper and I could run a Pi-Hole and DOH across everything.
--
0 Ratings
aaronf
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Yeah its a unifi switch. If you use DHCP what DHCP range do you use? Do you also still use BT's DNS or do you use for e.g googles?

albertj
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

OK cool, that will be on your controller as well.

I have two networks:
My Main LAN - 192.168.0.1/24 (192.168.1.100 - 192.168.0.253) (a leftover from my consumer equipment)
My Guest LAN with Captive Portal - 192.168.80.1/24 (192.168.80.100 - 192.168.80.200)

A great thing about not using the BT Equipment is that you can change your DNS. I use CloudFlare (1.1.1.1) (as they say they don't log and is fast, also support DOH)
--
0 Ratings
aaronf
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Apart from my ASUS router I've never really had to do DHCP ranges to be honest and when I've setup ubiquiti gear for family I've often just kept the router. 

Whats the best DHCP range to use? I would also use a guest network.

0 Ratings
albertj
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

The DHCP Range doesn't really matter, to be honest. It can't be the address of your DrayTek though.

Yea, mine uses VLANs but the Guest Network option in the Controller blocks access but it's not the MOST secure config.
--
0 Ratings