cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
freester
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Draytek Vigor 130 Modem - Dropping Internet Connection

I'll try and keep this concise. Read the footnotes (*) if you want more info πŸ™‚

Last November I replaced my Smarthub (HH6?) with a Draytek Vigor 130 + Ubiquiti Amplifi Router. *

Almost immediately I started experiencing problems. The internet connection slowing right down, or dropping out with the router losing IP address on the WAN / Internet side etc.

I spent a LOT of time and a few quid troubleshooting** until I finally realised it was the Vigor 130 Modem, not the Amplifi or the line that was playing up.

Draytek support leaves a little to be desired*** and right now they've got me factory resetting and reflashing the firmware on the modem to the version that is already on there. Still no improvement.

I've done a lot of googling. There's a lot of chat online about Vectoring at the cabinet, MTU sizes etc. Even a recent post from someone else who plugged in a Vigor 130 instead of a HH who is experiencing issues.

I'm pulling my hair out. I really believed the way forward was to keep the Modem and Router separate rather than buying a VDSL modem/router. But right now I've got a modem that doesn't work reliably and a router that I can't connect without a modem. 2nd hand Ebay Openreach modem or another idea?

Any thoughts/insights/suggestions gratefully accepted.

*Why? Because with a large number of wired and wireless devices connected to the HH devices (wired and wireless) regularly dropped off the HH until I rebooted it.

**Hours talking to Amplifi support, sending logs. Sent both the router and modem back to the supplier Scan who have been pretty good but no fault found with either. During this time I went back to the HH which didn't drop out on the Internet side of things once. I didn't even suspect the modem (Draytek is good stuff right?) until I bought a cheap 2nd hand Cisco wireless router and got the same problem, then just connected my PC directly with a PPPoE connection via the Modem and that dropped out too!

***OK the website support KB is excellent but any online support email leaves quite a bit to be desired.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Draytek Vigor 130 Modem - Dropping Internet Connection

First of all Vectoring hasn't been deployed on the BT network, secondly MTU size is a function of the router not the modem.

Either get get an Openreach HG612 modem from Ebay (don't pay extra for an unlocked version, unlocking is a trivial task) or try a Netgear DM200 modem.

0 Ratings
NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

@licquorice 

Vectoring has been enabled on many of the BDUK Huawei cabinets for a while.

On my line it makes a difference of an extra 15 % in download speed

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@NoSirItWasntMe  I didn't think it was universal, just on a few cabinets, maybe it has been more widely rolled out.

0 Ratings
NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

@licquorice 

It is nowhere near universal, but certainly in the thousands of cabinets, mainly BDUK funded ones to hit connection speed targets.

freester
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Well the Openreach modem arrived today. I've got it plugged in. Let's see if it can keep the PPPoE connection up longer than the Vigor.

Are these the right instructions for unlocking the HG612?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

You need to remove the link. Hacking links are not allowed on the forum.

SimonB5
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Hi, for what it’s worth, I was using a Vigor 130 on my Huawei BDUK cabinet... I was finding the performance and reliability reduced significantly over time ... 5 months.. as the cabinet filled up. In the end my line was profiled by the DLM system. My resultant reliable synchronisation speed ended up at around 32 Mbps downlink. This was quite a drop from the original 46Mbps downlink speed.

In helping a neighbour with their broadband touted Wifi config , I noticed their BT Homehub 6 was syncing at around 44Mbps and had been stable for about 18 days.

i then replaced my Vigor with a BT Smarthub 2... no great speed change .. but I could see I was profiled as their was significant SNR headroom after synchronisation.

I contacted BT support to have my DLM profiling reset, and after a technician was sent round to check my line it was given a clean bill of health, and a few days later my profile was reset.

My Smart Hub 2 is now syncing at around 48 Mbps and the DSL link has been up and stable for around 14 days so far.

I have no idea whether I have vectoring on my cabinet, but I suspect I do as I am about 700 metres from the cabinet with that synch speed.

So with line lengths of around mine, with a Huawei cabinet, I must recommend the BT routers over the Vigor 130.

freester
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

So as recommended in posts above got myself a 2nd hand HG612 modem.

When that arrived I plugged it in and sent the Draytek Vigor 130 via an RMA. Draytek reported they could not reproduce the issue nor find any faults under test. Replaced the internals anyway and sent it back.

Whilst the Draytek was away the Huawei modem performed faultlessly. I tried the Draytek and the internet connection slowed down and dropped out within an hour.

The Huawei HG612 hasn't missed a beat since. After a lot of complaining and discussing the finer points of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 with the supplier they have finally agreed to a refund (but that's another story).

So it would seem that despite Draytek's claims that

β€œ[BT SIN 498] tested against all types of MSAN/DSLAM and line variations used by BT Openreach (the FTTC equipment in the street cabinet) to ensure that stability is consistent regardless of your local equipment”

there was some incompatibility with the line or cab configuration at the address the Vigor 130 was being used.