cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Draytek Vigor 166

Go to solution

Well the new draytek G.Fast modem (uk version) has now been released into the wild and with my mt992 doing some odd things (random disconnects and the internet light going out even though i could still get online) i decided to get one and try it out, so far I've found it to be acceptable although its only been running a few hours and while ive seen posts that have said they have lost upload speed when they have connected it up i have not although its worth noting im on the lower G.Fast package.

The ui is very basic at the moment when running in bridge mode (it can run in router mode but has no wireless ability) and ive noticed that the system clock is not auto setting the time with no manual setup but i expect that to be sorted with updates (currently running 4.1.1_BT).

It has support for ADSL (not enabled in this current firmware), VDSL and G.Fast so i think can be considered a all in one replacement for those on VDSL but thinking of going G.Fast if they are not on the list for full fibre (yet).

A few shots of the info tabs....

1661.png1662.png

Something that caught my eye is there seems to be 2 G.Fast options, since i don't know what's what I've left as default...

1663.png

There is also a built in console for command line instruction's and readouts, the VDSL STATUS command gives me.....

vdsl status

--------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex X) -----------
   Running Mode            :   G.fast       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          :159749000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 29980000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      :295080000 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 38451000 bps
   DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode         :        Fast 
   DS Interleave Depth     :        0       US Interleave Depth  :        0 
   NE Current Attenuation  :      127 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :       13  dB
   DS actual PSD           :     0. 0 dB    US actual PSD        :     4. 0  dB
   NE Rcvd Cells           :        0       NE Xmitted Cells     :        0
   NE CRC Count            :        0       FE CRC Count         :        0
   NE ES Count             :        0       FE  ES Count         :        0
   Xdsl Reset Times        :        0       Xdsl Link  Times     :        1
   ITU Version[0]          : fe004452       ITU Version[1]       : 41590000
   ADSL Firmware Version   : 12-3-2-3-0-5 
   Power Management Mode   : DSL_G997_PMS_L0 
   Test Mode               : DISABLE 
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
   Far Current Attenuation :      127 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        6  dB
   CO ITU Version[0]       : 00b54442       CO ITU Version[1]    : 4d4390c1
   DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < ----- >

People with more knowledge then me will pick this thing apart in time but for now its a good alternative for those who want a separate modem but also want access to stats. I suppose that it can also act as a emergency router is a bonus.
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Draytek Vigor 166

Go to solution

Hi,

I've just received one myself and I'm also on the slower FTTC g.fast connection but i'm having issues. My upload has been great , even better than the HH however my download speed has been significantly worse.Usually at around 135-140Mbps on the HH the best the Vigor can achieve is 100Mbps at a real push and that doesn't last.

Can i ask what MTU yours set? Also did you make ANY changes at all to your settings when connecting this up?

I also have the incorrect time/date as well!?

Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Hi the MTU is set at 1520 on the modem but because the router (a tplink vr2800) will not do 1500 ive set it to 1492 which appiers to be the max it supports.

It should be noted that ive seen my speeds in the day drop to 120ish on the download but at night it always go's full speed, ive put that down to local contention.

Ive also reset the internet access/general setup tab to fully auto dsl mode and left the dsl modem code on default, i have also enabled hardware acceleration in bridge mode.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

Thank you for the feedback. The only thing I haven't tried is the hardware acceleration. I will have to see if that makes a difference. I can only assume the poor line speeds currently are the multiple restarts I've done recently fiddling with the settings forcing reboots. 

I must resist the urge to mess around with it!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

if you open the web console (middle button on the top right next to the floppy disk symbol) and type vdsl status it will tell you the path mode and interleave.

Mine is currently showing.....

Type ? for command help
> vdsl status

--------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex X) -----------
Running Mode : G.fast State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate :159751000 bps US Actual Rate : 29980000 bps
DS Attainable Rate :288889000 bps US Attainable Rate : 39612000 bps
DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast
DS Interleave Depth : 0 US Interleave Depth : 0
NE Current Attenuation : 127 dB Cur SNR Margin : 13 dB
DS actual PSD : 0. 0 dB US actual PSD : 4. 0 dB
NE Rcvd Cells : 0 NE Xmitted Cells : 0
NE CRC Count : 0 FE CRC Count : 0
NE ES Count : 0 FE ES Count : 0
Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 1
ITU Version[0] : fe004452 ITU Version[1] : 41590000
ADSL Firmware Version : 12-3-2-3-0-5
Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Test Mode : DISABLE
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 127 dB Far SNR Margin : 7 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : 00b54442 CO ITU Version[1] : 4d4390c1
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < ----- >
>

port wise i have the router wan on port 1 and the lan on port 2 but as far as i can tell it shouldn't matter if you have it the other way round

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

My stats are almost identical apart from a lower SNR on all counts but that would t result in poor performance. 

I'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks again for the information!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

I've just purchased this but cannot log into the interface 

I've tried everything in the manual but I just keep getting 

''Ethernet does not have a valid configuration''

On the plus side it does work fine in bridge mode giving the same speed as my BT HH on an older router (I've sent off for a new faster one) 

Can anyone help ? 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution
If its anything like the 130, when its connected to the WAN port of a hub, you can't access the menu as its outside the local subnet so you need to plug directly into the modem and then with it in bridge mode, it doesn't have a DHCP server, so you need to setup a static IP address for the machine you are connecting to it.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

Hi there

Yes I tried it connected directly to my PC , Not sure how to set up a static IP, but I'll have a google about that.

When I do an ipconfig, it shows nothing at the default gateway when it's connected directly to the PC.

My main reason is that I want to alter the default username/password , though i do wonder when it is in bridge mode whether it can be accessed.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

You need to go to your network adapter settings on your PC and select IPv4. Change the settings from 'obtain address automatically' to 'use this address'.  Set the address to one in the same subnet as the Vigor, gateway the address of the Vigor and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0

0 Ratings