cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Dropped connection with different devices

OK, bit of background, I worked in IT so Im familiar with some stuff but not a network guy.

Ive been on fibre for a number of years. My equipment was the BT HH3 and separate white modem box. However, i didnt like the HH3 so bought an Netgear WNDR4500 and configured this to work with the BT modem. These are plugged into a phone box with a separate fibre and phone socket. This is not an extension box and none of the original set up has changed.

Everything has been fine for years except a month or so ago, I noticed while I was still connected wirelessly to the WNDR4500, no device ie smartphone, lappie etc was actually connected to the net. Rebooting the WNDR4500 resolved this.

Then in the last 2 days, this became more frequent and completely random. I couldnt find anything in the WNDR4500 logs to explain it. It got so bad that this morning, I unplugged the BT modem and 4500 and activated the home SmartHub 6 around 10:30am 5 Jan.

Everything was fine until 00:15am approx on 6 Jan when suddenly the net connection went down. I looked at the SH6 and the blue light had turned orange. After a couple of minutes the SH6 re connected to the net.

There is no noise on the line when checked via a quiet line test.

I checked the DCHP server lease time in the SH6 is set to 1 day. Ive looked in the SH6 'Technical log' but I all I can see is CWMP Initialising transaction for event code6 connection request at 00:15am

Im concerned these frequent disconnects will hammer by connection speed. Advice would be appreciated.

Is there any way to attached the Event log here for review?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
albertj
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Dropped connection with different devices

Hi @curiousfellow 

Thought I recognised this post... you have posted recently with a very similar description; why are you posting a new thread?

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Using-BT-Smart-Hub-6-as-just-a-modem/m-p/1994603#M11613

But if there is no line noise then

Can you post hub stats?

Go to 192.168.1.254 in your browser

HH6: Click Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Enter Admin password (on the card or back of the router) > Screenshot results and post

HH5: Troubleshooting > helpdesk - The admin password is again on card or back of the router

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Hi Albert. I started a new thread because it is a different subject. The other was about the possibility of using a 3rd party router with the smarthub6 but touched on the reason why I hoped to do that.

However, I decided to fix up the SH6 instead of the old set up I had when all the info I found suggested it is not possible to do this.

Once I set up the SM6, everything was fine until about 00:15am on 6 Jan when the connection went down. What I cannot determine is whether the connection dropped due to a fault \ issue or something else such as the DCHP Lease being set to 1 day in the SH6. Ive changed this to 10 days.

Screenshots show the event log from 00:15am. Please let me know if you need any more info. Just one further comment, before the 'issue' started, my connection with the WNDR4500 and white modem were stable for periods of over 6 to 9 months. At that point, Id normally reboot the modem & router as part of housekeeping my network.Screenshot 1.pngScreenshot 2.pngScreenshot 3.pngScreenshot 4.pngScreenshot 5.png

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

And another!Screenshot 6.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

from stats hub had a firmware update yesterday which may have had something to do with your drop in connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

Hi and thanks for this.

I also noticed the firmware update. I'll keep my fingers crossed that was the cause. Are there any optimum settings for the SH6 beyond the defaults? As mentioned, I changed the DCHP Lease time from 1 day to 10.

I'll probably go back into the settings in a week or so if there are no further issues and fix the i.p. address of some items such as Sky boxes and an Xbox One.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

If you want static ip addresses then you would be best setting them in the device themselves and not using hub. You can set the hub to always use this IP address 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
albertj
Expert
Message 8 of 10

@curiousfellowwrote:

Hi and thanks for this.

I also noticed the firmware update. I'll keep my fingers crossed that was the cause. Are there any optimum settings for the SH6 beyond the defaults? As mentioned, I changed the DCHP Lease time from 1 day to 10.

I'll probably go back into the settings in a week or so if there are no further issues and fix the i.p. address of some items such as Sky boxes and an Xbox One.

Optimum settings are probably:

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Thanks Albert. Ive already done those except switching off the Smart Set up. Not sure about the other person's suggestion of setting a static i.p. in each device though as not all devices have an accessible network adapter.

Touch wood, the net connection has stayed up with no more drop outs. I'll keep monitoring.

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Right so Ive been monitoring my connection via the Smart Hub 6 logs. It had stayed up for about 36 days. I noticed tonight the connection said it had only been up for around 22 hours!

So clearly it had dropped again for some reason. Looking back through the log, I find the connection had restarted at 1:47am. I noticed it said there was an update and thought that was the reason but when I check further via the log, can see the same update was applied as mentioned in a previous post (think it was 5 Jan).

Is there no way to finding out why the lastest dropped connection occurred with getting an engineer out? Ive no intention of paying 200 quid only to be told BT cannot find a problem.

As mentioned before, my SH6 is direct into the box, there's no extension boxes etc, etc.

0 Ratings