cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Dropping Broadband

I'm on a BT Superfast contract (I think it's fibre to cabinet, then copper to my house) and  have BT Smart Hub & one BT Wifi extender located in my study downstairs in a x4 bedroom 35 year old house (block + plaster walls) + a BT Extender in the lounge. 

My wife has her laptop in a room immediately above the study i.e +/- 3 metres vertically - floorboards in between - and every few days the computer drops the broadband.  If I then reboot the router it works fine again for a few days and then the same happens again, this has been going on for months.

Any guidance on what the problem might be + how to solve it?

Graham

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Dropping Broadband

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

does the hub actually drop internet connection - hub light change from blue - or is it the device drops wifi connection?

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

In answer to the questions:

• No the hub does not drop the internet connection, it's just the connection to my wife's laptop and Ipad located updatairs.  The router remains blue  and working fine for my computer, located next to the hub. 
  • The computer's internet conection upstairs works OK for 2 or three days then stops (but OK at Hub) - on rebooting the hub the connection is restablished.
  • Screeen shots from the router & phone line are shown below.
  • Quiet line test successful.

tech1.jpgtech2.jpgtech3.jpgBB Check (Medium).jpg   

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

as you have the HH6/SH1 have you tried splitting the 2.4/5ghz networks and see if that helps.  have you checked using a wifi analyser on your phone for nearby networks and channels in use then select a less congested channel or one where you wifi signal is strongest

you could also try changing the wireless mode from 1 to either 2 or 3 and see if that helps

Split the networks

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks, I need to look more closely at splitting but not sure ot a problem. 

In the meantime, yes have WiFI analyser and can't see any signal strength issues, as I said the second computer is only about 3-meters away (vertcially) with, when it's working ther's a good signal. Am using the BT router recommended Channel-11.

Don't understand changin theg mode - what is this, where is this + how do I do it?

Is there a clue in the fact that when the computer drops the WiFi, rebooting the router  sorts out the problem?

Graham

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

if you go to hub manager then advanced settings the wireless mode - you can change from 1 to 2 or 3

the wifi channel 11 is probably one on most popular hence why I suggested using analyser but hub does not have a great deal of choice.

By resetting hub you are just renewing the connection however constant resetting of the hub is not recommended as it can affect you connection speed

I would seriously consider splitting the networks as it may well help you devices connect better.  I and many others just wish that was available on the SH2

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for the ideas, I'll take a look at all these and see how it goes - usually falls over after 3- 5 days. 

0 Ratings