cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Dynamic IP update headache

Hello all, 

I have just joined to ask a quest as I'm going round in circles. 

I have been using my BT Home router and its Dynamic DNS service to update my DDNS at No-IP.com. This allows me to utilise various apps (NextCloud, PLEX etc) on my home Synology NAS. 

I have now moved to my own hosting site and have a dedicated website address, and so no longer require No-IP. 

I have looked high and low, but I can not see how I can get my BT router to update my hosted site with the routers current dynamic IP address?

Does anyone happen to know what I'm doing wrong? If it turns out that this is a limitation of the BT router, can anyone recommend a replacement router?

Kind regards. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Dynamic IP update headache

Why do you need to? The website is at your hosting site's address, nothing to do with your Hub's address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

Hello, 

Thank you for replying so quickly. 

I'm hoping that I have missed a glaringly obvious solution, but my requirement is to type in my sife url (wherever I am remotely) which can then grant me access to my Synology NAS at home. I can then use PLEX etc.

Apologies, this is all very new to me. 

Kind regards. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

That's entirely different to running a hosted website.

You will still need to use NoIP if you want to access your NAS remotely.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 11

Many thanks.

Just to clarify, my connection would in effect be daisychained; home router - NoIP DNS - hosting site? I just set the NoIP dns as the CNAME on my hosting site?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

No, the 2 things are entirely separate. You have a website at a hosting site with one name and access to your NAS at home via NoIP with a different name. You can't access your NAS via the hosted website.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 11

So there is no way to link my BT router and the hosted site together?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

No, not that I'm aware of.

Highlighted
Message 9 of 11

The BT hubs only support a limited number of dynamic DNS providers - who did you purchase your domain from?  As an example I have a Google Domains purchased domain and my pfSense router supports Google Domains so I can update the IP address for my domain but it does require the router to have specific support for the company managing the domain.  If you had a PC always turned on you could possibly run a utility program to update the IP automatically.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

I guess you could have a link on the website that pointed to the hostname of your NAS. You will still need to use NoIP to update that address so can't see any benefit, you might as well not bother with the hosting.