Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gary63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 28

EXpected Speed from BT Hub 4 Unlimited standard setup

Hi

We have just bought the ring doorbell, and have been advised the reason we are having issues with it is because of our upload speed. The stated BT figures are 17mbs - but does not break it down between upload and download. We carried out a number of tests with ring and the download speed we are getting is around 2mb but the uplaod speed is 0.4mb.

We are in WD7 - can anyone advise what speed we should be getting and if it should be better than this how we go about improving the service.

Thank you

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
NeilO
Message 2 of 28

Re: EXpected Speed from BT Hub 4 Unlimited standard setup

@gary63 can you enter your number on this checker and post the results, making sure to remove your telephone number?

0 Ratings
gary63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 28

Hi So as a minimum if I have read figures correctly i should get upload (upstream) of 4.9 but only getting 0.4 - why?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

Can you post the results of the dslchecker. Any figures shown in the checker results are connection speed not download speeds

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gary63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 28

Hi

For whatever reason it will not allow me to cut and paste the output from the checker.

VDSL Range (clean) 52.9 -  36.7 (downstream) 10 - 6.6 (upstream) 34.6 Downstream handback

VDSL Range (impact) 44.1 - 30                                9.2 - 4.9                      25

FTTP On Demand             330                                             30

WBC ADSL 2+                upto 1                                                                             1 to 3.5

ADSL Max                       upto  1                                                                             0.75 to 2.5

WBC Fixed Rate                  2

Fixed Rate                            2

Bridge Tap                            U

VRI                                          U

NTEFaceplate                      N

WBC FTCC Availabilty  - set to Available

All other columns blank

Hope this makes sense to someone

Thanks

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 28

@gary63 The results you've quoted from the checker are BT Infinity speeds but if you've got a Hub 4 I think your more likely to still be on an ADSL service.  Do you have BT Infinity? If you're not sure can you post your router stats and we'll take a look? 

0 Ratings
gary63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 28

No we are not on infinity - just standard broadband which you quote as speeds up to 17mb.

The checker didn't state which method i was using only asked for phone number

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 28

@gary63 The checker shows all the available services on your line, I'm sorry about any confusion around that.

The speed you get on standard broadband is mainly determined by how far the line travels from the exchange with a maximum of up to 17Mb. From the checker results the estimated download speed for your line is 1Mb on ADSL and if you're on ADSL max the maximum upload speed with that technology is 448Kbps which would explain why you're getting a 0.4Mb reading on the upload.

Have you thought about upgrading as you'd get better speeds with an Infinity broadband package?

0 Ratings
gary63
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 28

Hi,

I hear what you say - and it has never been an issue now until we bought the ring doorbell.

We quote figures which are so far from the truth. Download speed of 2mb which is a lot higher than you quote, and the upload is about the figure you state. We are on ADSL - ie telephone connection.

Is there anyway this service can be improved rather than upgrading package. We only use internet for email, and web search, we don't watch movies or download anything so don't require a better package which is alot expensive (double at least of current price) - with presumably no guarantee of any better service.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 28

You could upgrade to adsl2 which may give you a slight improvement in down speed but I would expect about 100% increase in up speed to 0.8/1mb mods could help you if you want to upgrade

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.