Carol2
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Email issur

I have updated to infinity at the suggestion of bt. I no longer get my emails from work sent directly to my kindle. I need to log on with kindle or laptop to the University site where  work as a lecturer and I keep being disconnected every time I type an email. The university say it is bt malware that is doing it and I need to turn it off. I feel let down by bt and I am worried about turning off the malware if this means I have no protection. I am not a techy so any help would be appreciated.  I need to mark on line and worry that I cannot do this from home .Thank you Carol

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Email issur

Is your email a BT address e.g @btinternet.com, @btopenworld.com or @talk21.com?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

@Carol2 wrote:

I have updated to infinity at the suggestion of bt. I no longer get my emails from work sent directly to my kindle. I need to log on with kindle or laptop to the University site where  work as a lecturer and I keep being disconnected every time I type an email. The university say it is bt malware that is doing it and I need to turn it off. I feel let down by bt and I am worried about turning off the malware if this means I have no protection. I am not a techy so any help would be appreciated.  I need to mark on line and worry that I cannot do this from home .Thank you Carol

I think you mean ANTI- malware and that runs on your devices not on the BT hub so unless you have downloaded and installed it yourself, there is no BT anti- malware involved.

In the first instance, try turning off 'Smart setup' instructions on how to do that are here
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
Carol2
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thank you I will try this.

Carol

0 Ratings
Carol2
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Hello it is btinternet , but I don't use it , I use my university account. Saves looking in 2 places.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

@Carol2wrote:

Hello it is btinternet , but I don't use it , I use my university account. Saves looking in 2 places.

If you don't use a btinternet email address for 150 days (an initial 90 days, then 60 days for recovery), it will probably be deleted.

But this doesn't appear to be your issue from your initial post.

What are you actually trying to login to? If it's access to a university email system, then this has nothing to do with BTinternet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@Andy_N@New_To_UK  This isn't an email problem, its a remote access/VPN problem.

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Thanks @licquorice yes i figured, i just wanted to double check.

VPN infrastructure is very sensitive and sometimes minor losses of keep alive packets can cause the connection to drop when there is congestion. As you have just upgraded, the issue is likely on the BT line to become stable as it trains itself to find the best speed for the error rate on the line.  Its unlikely to be Virus protect if you are able to establish a connection in the first place and can use it for a bit before being disconnected.

Contact the broadband support desk as they have a variety of remote tools to diagnose and stabilise the line.

0 Ratings
Carol2
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

thank you for advice, I will contact them and see what can be done.

Carol

0 Ratings