Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Engineer made my phone worse

Hello,

I use my landline to call out a couple of times a year, this is mainly to renew my BT contract and or others. People do ring me though, so I do have to pick up the phone on occasion. So, last year I had a fault with my landline so BT or openreach came to fix it, they were ages and ages. They decided to cut off my extension in the bedroom so that I could get a better speed in my lounge, where the router is placed. I wasn't too bothered. The speed to my broadband improved and off they went, claiming the fault was fixed.

The next day I noticed if I rang out of my landline or someone rang me, the wifi cut off. The router flashed orange. When the call ended like magic the internet re appeared. This is most annoying.  Its back to having essentially faster dial up!

The phone line itself has always had a crackle type of noise on it. I did a quiet line test and its quite an obvious crackle.

I tried plugging into the test socket and using the phone and the same thing happens. No one has since touched the phone sockets or wires so I presume it was a badly fixed issue in the first place.

I have had difficulty ringing/getting through to BT and if i raise a fault online theres a chance i'll be charged for a former bt **bleep** up, so is there anything i can do or test?

Nothing else other than one single phone is plugged in. Its not on a filter as they put an mk3 socket thing in.

Hope someone can help 🙂

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Engineer made my phone worse

if you have tried using the test socket and you get noise on your line - try 17070 option 2 - if that has any line noise then report fault to 151 or 0800800151 from a mobile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Yes test socket also has noise on it, would this cause my internet to die off during a call though? Or is that simply down to the dodgy repair job last time?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

You have a line fault, once it is fixed your noise will disappear and your broadband will work ok.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

But when I do a fault finder through the BT site, it comes up with no fault, the line is fine etc. Shoudl i just raise a fault regardless?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Yes, the fault finder can't always detect a noisy line.  Report it as a noisy phone line, don't mention broadband.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

yes  phone the number I posted and report phone fault  not broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.