Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sarahandtony
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Epson XP 335 printer no contact via wifi

Go to solution

I cannot get my Epson XP335 printer to connect via wifi. When I go onto the printer menu and click on Wifi Setup, it acknowledges my BTHub 5 and I OK that. Then it asks me for a password. I enter the wireless key on the back of the router but it won't let me enter more than 8 characters and it says Setup Failed. There is no other password on the back of the router apart from the Admin Password. I tried that and that also failed.

I took both laptop and printer back to PC World where I'd bought the printer and the man behind the KnowHow desk was able to connect to the shop's wifi using their wireless key which entered onto the printer even though it was more than 8 characters long.

I can print from my laptop but only if I have a cable connecting the 2 devices.

Can anyone help please.

Sarah

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Epson XP 335 printer no contact via wifi

Go to solution

I don't understand why you can enter more than 8 characters in the shop but not when at home. Turn off smart setup on the hub anyway as that won't be helping but I can't see that as the fundamental problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

@sarahandtony

Could it be that its the WPS code that its asking for, as that is often the first option on printers, and you have to bypass that and go to manual wireless setup?

WPS is 8 digits long, so that may be the clue. The WPS key is written on the home hub card.

0 Ratings
sarahandtony
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for this suggestion.

I've tried that on the printer menu and after pressing the button of the router it indicates thast it is trying to load but after a minute says Unable to connect, try again

The next window on the Wifi Setup window is WPS Pin Code. I click on that and it says Setting up... After a couple of minutes it says Unable to connect, try again.

The next window says Wifi Auto Connect. I click on that and it says Connection via Wi-Fi Direct will be temporarily disconnected. Continue Setup. I click Yes. After a minute or so it says No computer found, try again.

The final window says Wi-Fi Direct Setup. I click and it says Connection Setup I OK it and it says UP to 4 Wi-Fi devices can be connected without a wireless router. I click and it says Select the SSID in the next screen to connect to this printer. I click and it says SSID is DIRECT-446CD1CE. The password is given (8 digits). I click and the screen returns to the original Wi-Fi Setup window.

Then I open a document to print and when the print window comes up, in the name drop down list I see DIRECT-446CD1CE but the status is Offline. I scroll down to Epson XP 332 335 series (which the tech-man at PC World put in). The status says Ready but it will still not print the document.

Now what?? Thanks for your help.

Sarah

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

See page 44 of this document. ftp://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/5137/epson513761eu.pdf you need to set up the printer manually by entering the wireless passkey for your hub.

0 Ratings
sarahandtony
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks but I've tried all this to no avail. Any other ideas, please?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Are you sure you are selecting your hub wireless signal in the list of available networks if there is more than one?

0 Ratings
sarahandtony
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Yes, I'm selecting the correct hub signal

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

To make the connection to the Homehub, see page 26 of the instructions. (At this stage you are not using Wifi Direct.WiFi direct is when you are not using a router instead connecting directly to the printer).

Once you have connected to your Homehub, you then go onto your computer and set it up. It should then find the printer as a Network printer.

0 Ratings
sarahandtony
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi to all those who have replied to me.

My son-in-law was with us over Christmas and he saw what I was doing wrong. When I entered the password from the router onto the printer, I was pressing the OK button after each character rather than the right arrow button to take me to the next character. Therefore when I got to the 8th character and OK'd it, the printer started to continue its processing (because it needed a password between 8 and 26 characters) and I ended up with a "Failed to connect". Duh!

Sorry to all from a Bear with Little Brain!