cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Ethernet cable installation issues

Go to solution

hi

I have success fully run the broadband signal from master socket to Bt home hub 6 using one of the twisted pairs of an ethernet cable

I now want to run ethernet back from hub to where master socket is using only 2 of the pairs in the ethernet cable

I did this using one pair on 1 and 2 and another pair on pins 3 and 6 and using a cable tester i can confirm that pins 1,2,3 and 6 are directly connected.

So my question is does the home hub 6 support 2 pair (4 wire ethernet) or have i done something wrong

I know that the port on the hub works as i have tested with a normal ethernet cable plugged into the port

i would rather not have this ethernet connection then move my hub to the master socket

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Ethernet cable installation issues

Go to solution

@penguin23 wrote:

I did this using one pair on 1 and 2 and another pair on pins 3 and 6 and using a cable tester i can confirm that pins 1,2,3 and 4 are directly connected.

I assume that is a typo and you mean 6

So my question is does the home hub 6 support 2 pair (4 wire ethernet) or have i done something wrong

The Ethernet ports are GbE but should work at 100M with 4 wires but can't confirm 100% that they will. Did you restrict whatever device you connected to 100M?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
sorry yeah that was a typo

not sure how to restrict my laptop to 100M
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Select your NIC in Network Connections then click on configure then advanced tab. Select 100M full duplex.

100mfd.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
unfortunately selecting 100M full duplex didn't work
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I have a SH2 hub and I've just butchered an Ethernet lead and it works fine with just 1,2,3 and 6 connected. That's without changing the NIC from auto negotiation.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

so i used a cheap cable cutting wires 4,5,7,8 and it still worked with the bthub

I tired putting the broadband signal on a separate cable thinking that it might be causing interference but no luck so my guess is that i have just exceeded the max length for 2 pair ethernet even through my run is only 5m

Thanks for your help though

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Are you sure the plugs are properly crimped?  It should work fine for 100M

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I got it working the first time I had crimped it badly but I thought it was I problem at the keystone so I repeatly punched down those cables which damaged them I then recrimped the other end properly but now the damage cables didn't work which is when I posted my problem so I just cut them back and soldered/ extended them and now it works.          

Thanks for your help

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Glad you got it sorted

0 Ratings