cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evanowen
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Ethernet cables - BT tell me I have too many devices connected

I called BT because I have had a few dropped connections over the last few days. A nice chappy called Sappy concluded that I had too many devices connected via ethernet, all six of them. "You can only have four connected" he said... pardon? I said, you are telling me I can't use the HH5 to connect my TV, two PCs, two wifi boosters and my Fire TV? "That is correct he says"

So I say nobody said anything about this over the many years I have been a loyal customer. "Well it's not your fault" Sappy said.

Now then, I go looking for more info because I don't believe Sappy. Lo and behold...BT sell an 8 port switch to connect 8 devices to my router.

Can someone tell me what TF is going on?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
dilosec
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Ethernet cables - BT tell me I have too many devices connected

Sappy told porkies... The dropped connections are likely caused by HH5 software instabilities!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

The customer service rep, who is not highly trained, would probably be thinking that you can only connect four Ethernet devices to the Homehub because there are only for Ethernet ports on the Homehub. He is obviously unaware that by using an Ethernet switch you can increase the number of devices connected.

There is no problem using the number of devices that you have connected through the Homehub by using an Ethernet switch.

If you are getting dropped connections you would need to clarify if it is a wired or wireless problem so that the relevant advice can be given.

0 Ratings
evanowen
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

The hub goes off and then starts through the traffic light routine. That means both wired and wireless are disconnected.

0 Ratings
evanowen
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Hub goes off and starts the traffic light routine so both wired and wireless disconnect

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

if your hub is dropping connection can you post any stats?  which hub do you use?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
evanowen
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

HH5 and where can I find these stats?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

As you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
edjonesy
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

After the firmware 'f**k up' in February that has wrecked the wifi on my HH5, BT told me I shouldnt be connecting more than 6 wifi devices, the HH5 is not deisgned to support that many in a residential environment!

Under the spec for the HH5 on the BT Shop website, BT state that the HH5 can support up to 64 simultaneous wireless connections.

The support people really just seem to annoy customers and cause bad feeling with their lack of knowledge, how can a line fault cause problems with the wifi for instance?

Heres a link to HH5 spec http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-home-hub-5-90RY.html

This is what they state:

Wireless * Dual band concurrent wireless * 2.4GHz: 802.11n dual-stream 2x2 MIMO. Back compatible with 802.11 b/g * 5GHz: 802.11ac dual-stream 3x3 MIMO. Back compatible with 802.11n/b/g - AC new wireless standard * WPS wireless connection * Smart Wireless - automated channel selection in 2.4 & 5GHz * Wireless channel operation * 2.4GHz: 20MHz (default), 40MHz supported * 5GHz: 80MHz (default), 40MHz supported * Up to 64 simultaneous wireless users supported Wireless encryption * 2.4GHz: WPA2 (default), WPA, WPA2 and WEP 64/40 * 5GHz: WPA2

0 Ratings
Stacys-mom
Message 10 of 10

Get a replacement. I have just received mine today after two years of using an older HH5.

My symptoms were drop outs (wireless) each time more than three wireless connections were made. 

On, off, on, off every few seconds. 

I chatted online with a nice man called Tapas (do they make these names up?) and one arrived a day later. 

0 Ratings