Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeHeller
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Ethernet connection problem

Go to solution

After a recent thunderstorm my internet connection through a Home Hub 5 using an ethernet cable stopped working to a desktop PC and the WiFi connection to a laptop was very slow.

I was sent a new hub 5 which connected fine by WiFi but the ethernet connection did not work, This was also the case with a different ethernet cable connected to the laptop.  WiFi connected fine with the desktop after moving the router near to the desktop on the telephone extension cable.  Ringing BT on 150 didn't come up with any solutions despite their best efforts nor did a call to a technical department whose number was given by the 150 respondent. Any clues?

Thanks, Mike

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ethernet connection problem

Go to solution

The storm has probably damaged the Ethernet port on the laptop. I doubt it can be fixed as it will be on the motherboard.  You can buy Ethernet to USB adapters, which could be one solution.

0 Ratings
MikeHeller
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks for the suggestion. However:

The laptop was not connected to anything at the time of the thunderstorm. Also different ethernet cables resulted in the same symptoms in both the laptop and desktop PC (which was connected) and with the new router suggesting that the problem is at or upstream of the phone socket.
I am trying to rule out other possibilities, before getting in an engineer (£££?)

I am looking for a neighbour/friend who is with BT on which to try out my hub and cables etc.
Mike
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

You could buy a cheap 3rd party VDSL router (Less than £35), that would prove what the problem is.

If the lights on the home hub indicate that you have a connection, then it cannot be a line issue. Also you said that wireless works fine.

You could be unlucky and received a fault replacement HH5.

0 Ratings
MikeHeller
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

It turned out that the Ethernet board on my desktop PC had indeed been damaged by the thunderstorm and is now working with an ethernet dongle. The problem with the laptop can wait another day.  Sods law that both the desktop and laptop had problems in the same department as it were confusing the issue. Thanks for the replies I received.

Mike

0 Ratings