Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mmals
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Event Log suspicious connection from guest

Go to solution
Hi
The other day I had a party at home, only one of the guests asked me if he could connect to my Wi-fi, I gave him the password. Later that day,my computer and mobile started behaving weirdly, The next day I saw the event log and showed multiple connections from this guest’s device, some as recent asa couple of hours ago. One of them indicated “port forwarding” in panic I reset the hub and changed the password, the event log is gone but it worries me the connections when he was not there, could I’ve been hacked?
Thanks for any advise
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Event Log suspicious connection from guest

Go to solution

Welcome to the forum.

It is most unlikely that you have been hacked.  Hubs seem reluctant to remove devices from the list when they are no longer in use.  Seeing as you have a new password your friend can't reconnect now.  Just one of the 'strange' features of Hubs.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

If you have reset the hub and set a new password your friend won't be able to connect now.

The best advice is not to give out your wireless password. Even if you know the person that you are giving the password to, you do not know how "clean" the device that they are connecting with is. It could have malware or a virus on it and by connecting to your network they could infect your devices.

If you want to let people connect to your wifi I would suggest that you buy a router that supports a "guest" network. This is entirely separate from your own private network and nothing can pass from one to the other. You can also reset the guest password as often as you want without affecting your own private networks password.

0 Ratings
Mmals
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Thanks for the advise, I usually never give my password, what worries me was to see that at say 4:00 am the device connected and the instruction port forwarding was activated then disconnected and so. Anyway is changed now. Many thanks for the advise
0 Ratings