cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angie2601
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Event log on Router HH 4

Hi board members, I am conscious my wifi is not performing as well as expected despite numerous tests and the PC being right next to the router (BT Infinity HH4). However, I have checked the event log for usage that occurred on Saturday 21/10/2017 and the event log doesn't show the activity - all it shows is 9.04 when the PC went on and then 12.28 when the PC was logged off. All the house hold devices used during that time were not on the event log. The Sunday 22/10/2017 activity is all logged in detail.

Could this be an issue with the HH4 (I may need to get a replacement/upgrade) or does the Event log sometimes not show activity ?

Every other time I've referred to the event log - details are in there showing activity.

Thanks

angie2601.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Event log on Router HH 4

Are you sure it is just your wireless connection that is not performing as expected? 

Have you run a speed test etc with a wired connection and the wireless connection to see if there is a problem with both.

To start with a "clean" page try ONE factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

Once it restarts make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

If you can then run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. Do this with a wired connection then a wireless connection to see if there is any difference.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

As you have the HH4 you will also have an Openreach modem. This means that there are no usefull stats regarding your connection available from the HH4 because all the relevant stats are held in the modem.

0 Ratings
angie2601
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for the advice. I will follow instructions & report back. I don’t use it wired so will try that. The last speed test I did showed 41 d/load & 8 up/load - wireless & on issider the dbm was moving from -53 to -42.
Thanks
0 Ratings
angie2601
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Also just thought when the HH 4 was set up, I had to split the name so the devices could distinguish between 2.4 & 5 frequency. With a reset will I have to rename it? Can I do the tests by just rebooting the router? I don’t want to mess it up. Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

A reboot is not as effective as a factory reset but the choice is up to you.

Yes you will need to split the networks again. It is not difficult. 

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

0 Ratings
angie2601
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Hi,

I have managed to do one of the test, anything of help here ?

Otherwise i'll have to do it at weekend.

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

0 Ratings
angie2601
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Also yesterday my EE WifiCalling wasn't appearing on my phone using the Home network - I just turned Wifi calling off and on and it appeared and stayed.
My daughter (uses another broadband in the home) had WifiCalling through EE, so could this also be an indication that the router/modem may need to be replace and there is an issue with WIFI ?
I will follow those tests though.
0 Ratings
angie2601
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Event log on router HH4

Hi gg30340,

I was able to do the speed test following your instructions.

I sent the other image last week of the cabinet details

The first is using the ethernet cable and then the second one is wireless. 

There is also a snapshot of inssidder showing my wifi - I don't understand how with the route right next to the pc, I am getting a higher signal than the other BT Wifi with Fon and sometimes BT Wifi X

Any assistance is appreciated - even if you think it looks fine because my anxiety is causing me a lot of worrying over this and my kids need to rely on pc for homework.

Even if you suggest I get a BT engineer in.

Thanks

Angie2601

1.JPG

2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG

5.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Re: Event log on router HH4

Going by the speed tests that you did it would appear that there is nothing wrong with your actual connection and that it is a wireless issue.

It could be that the wireless on the Homehub is starting to fail but before you consider replacing it did you a) carry out a factory reset and b) split the networks as I suggested.

0 Ratings