Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
davidjoyner
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Excess Use Charge

I have BT Infinity 1 40GB cap. For several years we have had broadband from other providers and our typical family usage is about 14GB/month. After joining BT our usage has exceeded 40GB for the first two months of use. On 1 September my BT online usage monitor reset at midnight, on the same day at about 8.30am I rest the home hub 4 which zeroed the usage meter on the home hub. On 15 September I took a screen shot of both the home hub usage and my online usage meter. The home hub was 5GB, online 16.78!

I  registered a complaint and requested BT explain the discrepancy. Received a call tonight, 18th. Apparently the home hub does not record all of my usage and BT don't recognise the home hub usage reports. The person I spoke to said "We don't know how it works", a verbatim quote!!

I simply do not believe internet usage can exceed what goes through the home hub, if so BT could issue bills for unlimited amounts because the 40GB would be meaningless and as to they don't know how their home hub works, well that seems to me simply ridiculous, maybe I'm wrong?

After suggesting we did not appear to be able to agree and a deadlock letter would be appreciated someone else came on the line who offered to look into it further, I await their findings

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Excess Use Charge

Earlier versions of the Home Hub have a tendency to reset the usage to zero once 5gb was reached - I don't know if this applies to HH4 but that is why the hub stats can be unreliable.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

@conrad wrote:

Earlier versions of the Home Hub have a tendency to reset the usage to zero once 5gb was reached - I don't know if this applies to HH4 but that is why the hub stats can be unreliable.

That's correct, in fact my HH2 used to reset around 3.5GB. The HH4 is no better; mine currently shows less than 1GB downloaded in 27 days while the monitor says 2.39 in 17 (a light user, me). Daily checking is required to get any meaningful info from the hub.

The usage monitor counts all data, but it should be adjusted daily by discounting usage such as BTTV; that's why it doesn't show real-time figures. BT have acknowledged that the daily discounting process can be unreliable, though it should always be applied before the final monthly total is determined. See the first few posts here.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Is there any change to your internet habits? Are you now watching catch up TV or streaming films?

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
davidjoyner
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Hi Every body

Thank you all for your replies. Bt have got back to me and it appears my broadband has 'crossed' as she put it. The issue has been referred to BT wholesale. I have to say apart from some duff information earlier on my impression is that BT have made a genuine attempt to resolve this.

Fortunately my HH4 was not reset for the last week and the screenshots I was able to get showed beyond any doubt the web site monitor was recording higher useage then my HH4. The sync test apparently showed my bb connection as synced whilst my hh4 was switched off at my end.

Hopefully we are close to correcting the fault.

Once again thank you for your replies

0 Ratings