cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeBurke
Message 1 of 4

Excessive data usage

My data usage has shot up recently and we are blowing the 40GB limit - 90GB last month!! The kids played Xbox live all summer without blowing the limit. I recently installed Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail client and our excessive usage seems coincident with that. Not sure if it's related. Any thoughts anyone?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Excessive data usage

It would seem unlikely, unless you are sending and receiving very large attatchments.

Is there anything else on this link which would indicate your increased usage?

Why is my broadband usage so high?

0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Don't know whether this is relevant or not (I am on infinity 1 40GB package).

BT have advised me for many years, each time I renew my contract, that I use 10 - 12.5 GB/month.

Last month for some reason my consumption shot up to 30GB and I actually received an email when I passed 28GB. The first time ever and ever means going back to dialup.

I thought, this can't be right, so from the 1 October I have started monitoring my useage daily and keeping a spreadsheet.

This month my cosumption up to yesterday according to the BT useage monitor was 4.25GB or an average of 0.43GB/day.

At this rate I will consume the mind staggering amount of 13.33GB back down to my normal useage pattern.

I did nothing out of the ordinary last month so have concluded BT's monitoring is ****.

I have read somewhere that BT consider the useage monitor infallible. If that is the case why are they forever carrying out maintenance on it.

"Sorry, the useage monitor is undergoing maintenance, please try later".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

@MikeBurke wrote:

My data usage has shot up recently and we are blowing the 40GB limit - 90GB last month!! The kids played Xbox live all summer without blowing the limit. I recently installed Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail client and our excessive usage seems coincident with that. Not sure if it's related. Any thoughts anyone?

I recommend that you monitor your broadband usage using the Internet Connection information in your HomeHub on a daily basis.  This is a bit like taking your blood pressure as any sudden change can be an indication of a problem. Note that it is important you take regular readings and note the connection time as the Hub figures may reset for a variety of reasons.  If something unusual is detected then you can monitor hourly or less but make sure you refresh the page. 

Example below:

Internet Connection Configuration

Connection information
Connection time:10 days, 22:11:46
Data transmitted/received (GB):0.635 / 11.948
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password:Not configured
0 Ratings