cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeP_UK
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Exchange Upgrade?

We are on the Hilmarton, Wiltshire exchange and get very poor broadband and not even ADSL2, just old ADSLMax. We've seen that OpenReach are laying a new cable/pipe from the Calne exchange along the A3102 and through Hilmarton and is now heading for Goatacre and Lyneham.

Does anyone know if this work is to provide fibre to hilmarton and Lyneham exchanges or what?  Both exchanges are included in the BT?Wiltshire Council intervention area plans but we have no dates published yet and not even any idea what they are/might do to resolve the poor broadband service issues.  

Any knowledgeable suggestions?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
dfenceman
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Exchange Upgrade?

MikeP_UK,

Unless someone on here has local knowledge all I can suggest is to contact the Wiltshire Online website.

On 30th January 2013, Wiltshire Council in partnership with South Gloucestershire Council awarded a contract to BT to provide superfast broadband.

91% of all premises will be able to access superfast broadband (with speeds greater than 24Mbps) by March 2016.

The total investment is £35.6m, with £4.6m from BDUK, £2m from South Gloucestershire Council, £15.5m from Wiltshire Council, £12.8m from BT and £0.74m from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).

The first exchanges enabled under the project are expected to go live with fibre in spring 2014.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
MikeP_UK
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

But the Wiltshire Online website does not tell us what the work is nor why it's being done. We have never been given any dates for an exchange upgrade, it's still stuck on 20CN and not 21 CN, and that website does not add anything to what we already know. So your suggestion, though well meant, is not helpful.

The area I'm talking about is quite rural, Hilmarton serves 340 customers and Lyneham around 1200 (because of the former RAF base that is now being converted to a Defence Technical Training College) so it is very low down the order of priorities I suspect. I would imagine that the more urban areas are likely to be equipped before us moonrakers yet we are the ones who will benefit most from having fibre either to the premises or to a nearby cabinet - if they can find a location near enough to sufficient customers to be worthwhile. 

0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

'Does anyone know if this work is to provide fibre to hilmarton and Lyneham exchanges or what?'

Is that a rhetorical question?
0 Ratings