cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andymiff84
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Extenders

I have extenders for BT TV. Stopped working 2 weeks ago. Was sent new extenders and new TV hub. Still didn't work. Engineer visited today. Gave us more new extenders. It worked for an hour. And now it is not working again. Data light on extenders flickers between off and the odd flicker of red. Can anyone help? 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 12

Re: Extenders

If possible, temporarily replace the extenders with an ethernet cable and see if that makes a difference.

Which extender did you get (i think there's three types)

Have you made sure the extenders are plugged straight in to your ringmain, not via a multiway socket

0 Ratings
andymiff84
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Thank you. 

Can't see any name other than Mini Connector. 

No extension... Directly into wall socket. 

And I don't have a long enough ethernet cable to do as you suggest. 

Anything else I coukd try? 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 12

@andymiff84wrote:

Thank you. 

Can't see any name other than Mini Connector. 

No extension... Directly into wall socket. 

And I don't have a long enough ethernet cable to do as you suggest. 

Anything else I coukd try? 

The best test is to temporarily replace the extenders with a cable, is it possible to move the box closer to the router to allow you to do this?

There are three models of extender, two of which are plug through, I'm wondering if you're using one of these and plugging either a faulty piece of kit or something with a high emi into it 

Are both extenders on the same ring main?

If the house is old, has it been re-wired?

0 Ratings
andymiff84
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Thanks again. 

Yes. We have an old house which has been rewired. Upstairs and downstairs possibly different, although previous extenders were working for a couple of years. 

The only things plugged in are brand new TV hub downstairs and relatively new home hub upstairs.

I coukd try moving TV hub closer to smart hub and see what happens. Will do so tomorrow 

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

If it’s the same on both sets of extenders it’s very possible that your home wiring has electrical noise, fridge motor or your home wiring has a high resistance connection.
Test the extenders by plugging in the same room /same ring main and check the data is working.
Or look to purchase a WiFi extender so removing the home wiring from the solution.
0 Ratings
andymiff84
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Thank you. What is a WiFi extender

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 12

@andymiff84wrote:

Thank you. What is a WiFi extender

The Netgear EX6000 is an example of a wi-fi extender though there are many more types.

As the box itself is not wi-fi, an extender would only help if you had a half decent wi-fi signal somewhere near the box, you would then have to complete the connection with an ethernet cable.

Are you on Halo? if so you can request a disc from BT F.O.C 

0 Ratings
andymiff84
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Thanks. I don't have halo

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 12

@andymiff84wrote:

Thanks. I don't have halo

As I said earlier: The best test is to temporarily replace the extenders with a cable, is it possible to move the box closer to the router to allow you to do this?

0 Ratings